Parenting
Options

Recommend a non-beachy vacation spot (or cruise) that would be appropriate to take a 2 year old.

DH and I want to take a big vacation next year (big meaning at least a week) and we don't want to do anything beachy or tropical because his family lives in Puerto Rico and we go there once or twice a year. We want to take our little guy who will be 2 next summer and although DH and I are really outdoorsy I'm not sure what sort of adventures we could do with a 2yo. We live in the Carolinas so we're thinking for something different maybe the North West, North East + Canada or maybe an Alaskan cruise or something? We enjoy more natural adventure type stuff vs. Commercial touristy spots and the time of year doesn't matter, we are open. Thanks!

Re: Recommend a non-beachy vacation spot (or cruise) that would be appropriate to take a 2 year old.

• Options
    You might enjoy Mackinac Island. It's really beautiful and there's a lot to see and do. Plus, fudge!

• Options
    Spin313 said:
    You might enjoy Mackinac Island. It's really beautiful and there's a lot to see and do. Plus, fudge!

This! There is a lot in that area, or heck, this region that fits the OP's bill...  Rustic without being too far gone especially when you're traveling with a 2-yo...  There's also a ton up in the Marquette/Ispeming areas too...  If I was heading that way I might consider staying down at Boyne Mtn since there's so much to do on-site and it's pretty family friendly at that (they have a stocked pond you can fish at, golf course, one-step above mini golf which is a hoot with kids, etc.)..  And all without having to REALLY worry about the wildlife as you would in Alaska..

Honestly, I'd save the Alaskan Cruise until your 2yo is closer to 6 and has a chance to not only remember it, but really take it in.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been on an Alaskan cruise but it was before I had kids. It was amazing and beautiful and I definitely recommend it. However, I agree with the previous poster who said to wait until your kid is older for that. A trip like that should be enjoyed and remembered by everyone.
  • Options
    Great ideas! Definitely will be doing some research in the coming weeks. Maybe I will invite my parents along so my husband and I can have at least some adult time ;) Gotta hit up a few breweries...
  • Options
    Check out North Conway, NH and Storeybookland. It is an adorable theme park and the area is beautiful. It is about a 3 hour drive from Stowe, VT. We vacationed in Boston, Stowe, and Portland, ME this summer with our 2-year old and there was a ton to do in the area. We didn't stop in North Conway and have been talking about going back ever since we got home from vacation. PM if you want more info.
  • Options
    Ooo, I want to do an Alaskan cruise so bad! We plan to wait until DD is older, though, because I've heard a lot of the fun comes from the excursions, and some you can't do with little kids. Specifically we want to wait until she's totally out of a carseat in case we have to get to any excursions via car. Although there is a Disney Alaskan cruise. Probably tons for toddlers with that one. Last year we were looking into a northwest vacation and I came across this site https://www.cascadiakids.com. Had a lot of good info about traveling with kids in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to do the northeast, I've heard that Maine is awesome in the summer.
    Maine is awesome always (if you can handle snow in the winter)

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"