Stay at Home Moms
Options

Vent about younger brother.

Yesterday, DH and I were eating out and going on a date. I checked my phone to see if we were going to be late for our movie and I noticed on IG that my brother's (who's going to be 14 in Feb) girlfriend had sent me message. She had asked if I had heard from my brother that his phone was taken away (common for him as he gets grounded a lot) and his friends kept telling that he had committed suicide the night before. I freaked out because he's had a lot of trouble dealing with depression, cutting, and suicidal thoughts. So I call my parents until I got ahold of them and asked if he was ok. She said yes why, and I asked to talk to him. I went outside at this point so I could talk to him and find out what the hell was going on. He told me that I should, "Go along with it. That it was for revenge." At this point, I proceeded to freak out on him. I told him I couldn't believe that him and his friends would think this was a good idea to pull a 'prank' on his gf just for revenge (I have no idea what this chick did, and I don't really care). I told my mom and she was just as mad as I was at him, thanked me for telling her, and got off the phone to deal with him.

I told DH what he had done and he couldn't believe it. I mean don't get me wrong, I did some stupid immature shit when I was younger. I never would've done something like that. I've never been more disappointed in him. My mom has a history of depression and suicidal thoughts, as do I, along with my best friend and her mom. Especially for someone who says he's so depressed that he cuts and has suicidal thoughts, I just can't believe he did something like this. I mean, am I just overreacting because it's something that's a hot button for me? He's young, yes, but I can't imagine doing something like that even when I was his age. Maybe it was a friend's idea and then all his friends thought it was a good idea so he just went along with it. His attitude was just so nonchalant when I brought it up, that it was kind of creepy. I think that's what bothered me more than anything.
BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17

Re: Vent about younger brother.

• Options
    In a word - NOPE, not overreacting, you're justified! He needs his proverbial @$$ chewed for that level of stupid immaturity!  Yes, teens do stupid stuff, OTOH, the butt chewing is usually an effective future deterrent.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @gastro DH pretty much said the same thing. I mean, there's been a lot of shit that's happened with my family that makes me distance myself from them, but at 14, and especially with his history of depression and knowing what it's like, that he should know better. I picture him as his sweet little annoying two year old self. In his place, I have a 14 year old brother who seems like he has serious mental issues. It really makes me sad.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    minerswife17minerswife17 member
    edited September 2014
    This is totally not okay and he really needs help. It almost sounds like its a cry for attention and help. Please make sure that he gets the professional help that he needs. At 14 you're old enough to know better about making joke of this situation. He knows better. You most definitely are not over reacting! 

I may delete parts of my post later. Hope you understand. 
  • Options
    A friend of mine just committed suicide a couple weeks ago. We were all desperately hoping that it was a terrible prank so that we could ream him out for it. If your brother had any idea how much pain a suicide causes he'd never dream of doing that again. He needs a serious wake up call.
  • Options
    Ya I know. I just talked to my mom for the first time today since last night and I told her he was pretty nonchalant with me yesterday. She said he was apologetic and really upset. I don't know what the hell to believe. I told her today he has mental issues and he really needs to go to a therapist. I hope to god she gets him the help he needs.

@minerswife17‌ I understand completely. I'm sorry you had to go through that and for your loss.

@magentawarped‌ I know. I've almost lost my best friend to suicide and talked her down a couple of times. Depression is incredibly hard, and I'm just not sure he realizes the gravity of how his 'prank'. I know at his age, death wasn't really something that seemed understandable. I knew I wasn't exempt from death, but I never thought I would die, you know? As I've gotten older, that feeling has faded and it's hard to imagine just how fragile life is. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Options
     It almost sounds like its a cry for attention and help. Please make sure that he gets the professional help that he needs. At 14 you're old enough to know better about making joke of this situation. He knows better. You most definitely are not over reacting! 
    I agree with this. I don't think you overreacted and I honestly think anyone who jokes about suicide like that is really crying out for help.

@minerswife17 I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No advice, but I wanted to offer you some hugs. I'm sorry you had to experience that. I think you did the right thing and hopefully he fully understands what he did. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options
    Gastro said:
    I'm sorry that this happened. I don't have any advice except that he should probably be seeing a therapist. At fourteen he should know this isn't a joke.
    This. Sorry Aussie! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"