Cloth Diapering

I've never made a NB stash...

haileyqhaileyq member
edited September 2014 in Cloth Diapering
... and it's a little early, but let's be honest. I already have some NB diapers that I couldn't pass up because they were such good deals. I'm good on the actual diaper part, but my questions are more for covers. DS was a normal birth weight (6lbs 15 oz) then chunked out mega fast. Like, was over 9lbs at his 2 week appt and doubled his birth weight by 8 weeks. He was on the middle rise of most OS diapers by the time I started him in CDs at 7 weeks. Of course there is no way to predict if baby 2 gains the same way, but if so, I'm thinking of skipping the "NB" sized diapers like Bummis and going for Thirsties size ones and Blueberry Mini coveralls.
I also thought about getting some more Best Bottoms because those seem like they would fit early on... does anyone have experience with that? My SoftBums Omnis also look like they get pretty tiny. Does anyone have experience with babies that outgrew their NB dipes wicked fast? What did you like best?

I have:
2 dozen orange edge GMD prefolds
1 dozen yellow edge GMD prefolds
A handful of orange/yellow workhorses
I plan to fill this out with flats, trying to do this on the cheap since I'm not expecting LO to stay in these for very long.

Thanks for any input!

ETA: Because I posted too soon.

Re: I've never made a NB stash...

• I really liked my Thirsties duo wraps, and A grew very quickly too. I've branched out a lot more this time round, but no personal experience with any others.

I also hated prefolds. I know a lot of people love them, but this time my stash will be fitteds with some (ok who am I kidding, a way excessive amount of) AIOs and pockets thrown in. Since you've already CDed you'd probably be better equipped of knowing whether you'd like prefolds or flats, though.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • I really liked my Thirsties duo wraps, and A grew very quickly too. I've branched out a lot more this time round, but no personal experience with any others.

I also hated prefolds. I know a lot of people love them, but this time my stash will be fitteds with some (ok who am I kidding, a way excessive amount of) AIOs and pockets thrown in. Since you've already CDed you'd probably be better equipped of knowing whether you'd like prefolds or flats, though.
    You'll have to give me an update after you've used different diapers with baby 2... I'm also curious if she has a similar growth pattern as A did?

I love my prefolds, but I've never used them on a little NB. Either way, I don't want to spend the $$ on AIOs for this stage... except maybe some NB Simplexes. Do you have any of those for baby 2?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think thirsties duos 1s are a good idea. But I would have at least a couple nb sizes things, so between those and hospital sposies you could get by if the 1s didn't fit right away.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm loving my Thirsties and Blueberries covers. L is around 11 lbs now and still has room to grow in both. I like my RaRz but the belly elastic bugs me a little.

Nicki's fitteds have worked well for us, too. He still fits in the x-smalls even though he's outgrown x-small prefolds

• I would probably get the thirsties 1 and just a couple of nb covers just in case. We were able to use the thirsties when we started cding around 9 days in. DS was 7lb when we left the hospital so maybe 7.5? When we started. I liked the smaller fit of my nb rar and bummis though. I used them for 6 weeks. The rar have rise snaps so the fit for quite a while.
  • Thirsties duo size one didn't fit my 6 pounder for 2+ months. I looooved my Prowraps though, like someone else mentioned. We also used fitteds pretty exclusively, so I only had 4 newborn covers total for the first 2-3 months, and that was plenty, so it might be worth getting 2-3 cheap NB covers, even if your babe only wears them for a few weeks. The Prowraps aren't cute, but they're cheap and will fit right away and lasted my daughter until she was in one size and probably still fit a while after that. 

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I'm thinking (FT CDer here) on having a few newborn covers to put over prefolds/flats, then have a larger stash of size one (my MIL is making me some which helps)- including covers, some pockets and a few All in Ones. IDK hope it works out. Then I can see what I do / don't like. We are not cloth diapering at daycare so I don't think I'll need as many as a full blown stash. I figure I can always add as I go. It does seem wasteful to spend much on NB but my lil girl is running small so I think I'll need a couple of covers at least. 
  • If you wan to do this on the cheap check out assuntastore.com  Their tiny covers fit just like Thirsties size ones...I actually like the assunta better.  They are half the price and fit for a while.  I believe Lola still had room to grow when I destashed for more AIOs a 3 months. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"