Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Missing the Hospital

My baby is 3 months old now and not a day goes by that I don't miss my stay in the hospital. My little one was 6 weeks early and stayed in the NICU for 13 days after he was born. I stayed in the hospital a total of 4 days. It was not particularly pleasant (magnesium drip and unplanned C-section), but I can't stop wishing I could go back. Do any other new mothers feel the same way?

PS- I am battling PPD, as well...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Everything is well controlled and I love my little one more than I can possibly say. I just can't stop missing the hospital.

Re: Missing the Hospital

• I totally agree, I've been missing it the past few days as well...I miss that feeling of Learning and excitement that came with it as well as being looked after myself was kinda nice too :p
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes...I could not wait to get out of there. Everyone tellong me what to do, when to do it, telling me to sleep- but nurses coming in every 30 min.Nope..wanted my new "normal" to begin.
  • The only thing I missed about the hospital was having meals that arrived regularly three times a day, with no cooking and cleaning for me (granted it wasn't the tastiest food out there, but it was plentiful, timely, and hot). Other than that, I was so ready to go home. Between checks for me and my LO, we were interrupted almost hourly, so rest was near impossible!
  • I know what you mean! I missed having people take care of me...because at home I am the one always taking care of everyone else! I didn't want to leave the hospital haha but I was glad to come home to my 3 year old daughter
  • I understand where you are coming from. As a new mom, I missed the safety of having doctors and nurses around to help if something went wrong or if I needed help. It started to go away after a few weeks as my confidence in my ability to take care of my baby increased. I also struggled with PPD, and I made a med change with the help of my doc that made a world of difference in my outlook and energy and confidence levels. Have you shared these feeling with your doctor/health professional? Good luck!
  • I completely agree! I loved my hospital stay. I delivered in a small town rural hospital, and everyone knows each other so I had lots of company between my family and people I knew that work in other parts of the hospital, and the nurses treated me like a queen. I was on magnesium and had a long, exhausting delivery, so I don't miss that part, but I was a patient from Tuesday to Friday, but the baby was jaundiced so she stayed until Sunday. They let me stay in a room just outside of the l&d wing, and still treated me like I was admitted (kept me fed, helped with nursing, brought me ice pack pads and those terrible hospital underwear because I was still bleeding pretty badly). I get way less attention and spoiling at home.
  • I absolutely hated the hospital stay. I went in for a doctors appointment and ended up being admitted, induced, being in active labor for 30 hours, going 48 hours without food or sleep, and then being on acute care due to high bp, where they read my bp every 1-2 hours for 50 hours straight after delivery. I assumed I'd be in and out of the hospital in 2 days and was there for a week. I didn't pack the right clothes or enough of them. I felt like a prisoner. Even though I'm a FTM, my DH has a child, so I felt confident bringing a newborn home with him. I was ready to take my baby and go home a couple hours after delivery.
  • I am so glad that you posted this. I was in the hospital for 8 days - 3 days of active labor followed by an unplanned c-section and then 5 days in maternity. Despite the horrible labor, I still had a wonderful experience. While we were there, we became very close with the nurses, and every day I wish I could be back there. I miss the hospital setting, being taken care of, but especially the support and conversations with the nurses. I cried when I got home and realized that I would never see them again and that I hadn't even gotten pictures of ny LO with them. I am struggling with PPD as well right now, so I don't know if that is the primary reason for this, but please know you aren't alone.
  • It's weird because while I was in there I wanted out sooo bad! But I've definitely had moments of missing it. I was in for 12 days total. My son was actually discharged before me but they let him and my husband stay in my room with me and provided him with bottles, diapers, everything we needed, which was sooo nice! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Pregnancy Ticker
  • I oddly feel the same. We were in the hospital for 3 days and then LO went back to the NICU for three days after being released. So, we finally went home at 1 week, and we nested at the hospital while he was in the NICU. I also had a bad delivery experience with magnesium and lots of vomiting etc. but I think part of me misses the hospital for nostalgia reasons. We had a really life altering event happen there, so I think it's normal to feel nostalgic about it a little.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I missed the hospital the moment i discharged. I loved being taken care of without even asking for it and loved having a very caribg medical team and sweet nurses who were so good, wouldnt interfere or anything but were very available. I had a suit to myself and in the evening everyone but my mom or husband left and they alternated in staying with me (2 nights) my stitches burnt the first 2 days and i almost fainted everytime i got up or looked down so i felt good being there. I didnt worry about messing the sheets since i was bleeding badly the first day. I was also (by tradition) goiny to my parents' house with ny DH and LO for the first month so that they can help take care of us but at the house everyone was there (siblings, dad, mom, maid) and everyone was being so helpful all at the same time while i was trying to figure it out for myself that i got frustrated
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"