January 2014 Moms

Sleeping with a blanket

The other day, DH put the baby down for his nap with a blanket. I yelled at him, and he said it was because he was clutching at it when he fell asleep while they were snuggling in the rocker. We kept a close eye on him, and he proceeded to nap for almost 3 hours. This is unheard of. Generally speaking, his naps last for 20 to 40 minutes.

While we continue to use sleep sacks at night, we have given him the blanket for naps every day since then, and every day he has rewards us with a 2 to 3 hour nap.

I still get freaked out though, because he does pull it up over his face quite frequently. I watch him on the monitor, and I end up going in to move the blanket off his face a few times during the course of his nap.

Is this nuts? He's nearly 9 months, is that still young enough that he could accidentally suffocate himself with the blanket? Why does he sleep for so long when he has it? Warmth? I'm getting hooked on these long naps.
TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: Sleeping with a blanket

• DS sleeps with a lovey and a blanket every night. He loves to snuggle them. He puts the lovey over his face sometimes and I'll go in and move it. But really I believe he's old enough to move it himself. Our pediatrician told us it was fine at this point because he's capable of moving himself if he gets uncomfortable. He'll crawl around in his crib lay with his face in a blanket with his ass in the air. If he STTN and is comfy, go for it kid! :) Just my thoughts and opinions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My little girl sleeps with a blanket when she naps and at night. I do make sure it's a light blanket not a big heavy blanket. I actually was talking to my doc about this yesterday and he said she will be fine. But it's so hard as a momma to not worry.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is such a relief to hear, I was worried that he was still too young for sleeping with a blanket. But if your doctors said it should be fine, then I feel more confident! I will run it by my own doctor at his next visit. If I had only known that a blankie might help him nap longer a little earlier, I would've been all over it for a while now! He just woke up from a three hour stretch, it was glorious.
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• I let him sleep with a baby blanket that was crocheted for him.  Lots of holes.  I am also comfortable with him sleeping with a light (regular) blanket.  Even if he gets trapped under it and can't figure out how to get it off he can still lift his head and make space for air and cry for help.
  • DD sleeps with a lovey and a thin blanket, has for a few months now. Occasionally she will pull it over her face but pulls it off very quickly or we go in and move it if not.
  • I've actually been TRYING to get Patrick to sleep with a blanket because I think it would help him sleep longer. Alas, he just wants his mama.

I feel like if his biggest "problem" is that he wants to cuddle, I can deal with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• This is actually our trick for naps usually. I freaked when I went to get her at daycare and she had one on her, until I tried it for a nap and it helped her sleep. I only do it for naps though, since I'm awake and can check on her. I have no clue if she'd be ok at night or not, but that rollie pollie girl is all over the place, butt in yhe air at night so I think at this point a blanket isn't practical for her at night.

I say do what gets your LO sleep, and you some spare time ;)
  • DS has always slept with a blanket whether it was a receiving, crocheted or cotton and he's perfectly fine! He never took to swaddles, but blankets worked well for him.
  • DS sleeps with a minky dot lovey and blanket every night. As soon as it touches his skin he chills out and knows it's time for sleep.

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We use a crocheted blanket. She is used to having a blanket she can stick her fingers through

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS sleeps with a minky dot lovey and blanket every night. As soon as it touches his skin he chills out and knows it's time for sleep.
    While he has never slept with a blanket until now, somehow this has immediately become the case for DS too! It's a fuzzy/fleecey soft thing, and he just grabs hold of it, pulls it close to him and closes his eyes instantly and falls into a deep sleep. It is so magical. I fully intend to bring it with us to daycare on Monday and tell her provider all about it!

Thanks to all for weighing in, now I feel totally sure that him having a blanket is fine and I shouldn't worry so much.
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• DD slept with a A+A blanket since she was 3 months old.
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Both mine have slept with blankets since they were newborns. First swaddled in it and then just on them. DD immediately calms when you rub part of it against her cheek.
  • DD has been sleeping with a blanket for a while now. She likes to chew it and feel it in between her fingers.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• One thing I'm wondering; my DD has a lovey that we always give her for sleeping. So those of you using a lovey as well, do you give a blanket in addition to that? So they have both things with them? The things you're all mentioning the blanket as good for sound kind of repetitive to what DD does with the lovey so I'm not sure a blanket would make much difference.
  • One thing I'm wondering; my DD has a lovey that we always give her for sleeping. So those of you using a lovey as well, do you give a blanket in addition to that? So they have both things with them? The things you're all mentioning the blanket as good for sound kind of repetitive to what DD does with the lovey so I'm not sure a blanket would make much difference.
    We use both every night. DS loves to be covered up as well as cuddling the lovey by his face. He moves around constantly but always seems to cover himself back up without getting tangled.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"