December 2014 Moms

Heartburn and prenatal vitamin

Please don't bash me if this has been discussed before. I am not good at the search function and I even tried the handy dandy magnifying glass and still didn't seem to get results I was looking for. So not really sure this has come up before but I'm sure it has! I've been taking the Nature Made prenatal vitamin for quite awhile now. Started on these when we began the whole IVF process and trying to conceive. Never have had a problem with them. I usually take them shortly after I eat lunch just so something is in my stomach as to avoid upset stomach. Just recently I've been having heartburn (burning from the throat down) right after I take a pill. No upset tummy or anything just heartburn. Just curious if any of you other ladies have experienced this or are experiencing this in your 3rd trimester? Right now it doesn't seem severe enough to call and ask the OB about it as it only lasts about a 1/2 hr or so and then goes away but will discuss it at my next appointment. It just seems like such a weird side effect to me for a vitamin! I'm pretty sure tums are ok to take, do you ladies take tums for heartburn? Heartburn is a new thing to me as I have been lucky and never had it until I got pregnant!

Re: Heartburn and prenatal vitamin

• 1/2 tsp baking soda in 2oz water.. takes it away in an instant! If you can get past the salty taste it works wonders :) this is what i do as i have the same problem, but the ones i take i have to take 3 times a day.. good luck!
  • ManateearmzManateearmz member
    edited September 2014
    If you're taking them right after lunch it is probably the lunch, not the vitimans.

Heartburn is really common in the 3rd tri and typically can't be avoided. Try tums.

Edited because words are hard.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • They say to split up the times you take any iron and tums. Be sure to take TUMS at a different time than you take iron supplements. It is recommended to space doses of these antacids and iron supplements one to two hours apart, to get the full benefit from each medicine or dietary supplement.
  • So I just have to say @Manateearmz the photo you have tagged with your posts makes me LOL every time I see it. I showed it to my DH and he just didn't get why I found it so funny. I don't really know why I do either but it makes me laugh!! Thanks for the chuckles :) Oh and thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Never heard that about baking soda but I'm going to try that!
  • Yep, Tums are fine. Actually a good source of calcium. I have heartburn like crazy if I eat certain foods (esp. tomato or spicy), or eat too much, or basically anytime my esophagus decides to set itself on fire, which is at least every other day.

I think the fruit ones taste better than the mint.
    D14 November, because I am finally not on mobile, how I feel in 3rd tri:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep I'll second the post that says its probably the lunch and not the vitamin. Heartburn happens to me on the reg right after lunch :((
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try taking it with a light snack earlier in the day.
  • Acid reflux kills me. My doctor prescribed me zantac but it doesn't seem to work very well for me. But I go through tums like candy.. so painful and irritating. I've tried the baking soda too, but it doesn't help me.. just gives me the burps which make it worse. Just bring up more acid.
  • This is my fourth pregnancy and I have suffered from heartburn with all of them. Two weeks ago it was so bad though I couldn't keep anything down and I was taking Zantac daily. My OB prescribed me Prevacid. It has worked wonders I haven't had any heartburn since I started maybe ask your OB about that!
  • I've had heartburn since the second I found out I was pregnant.  It got really bad in the 2nd trimester.  Now, I take pepcid every morning and every night.  And I still need tums once in a while.  Although, my prenatals are gummy instead of pills, so I think that helps with that part.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"