April 2014 Moms

Introducing banana!

Tomorrow DD is 6 months, she is getting 2 teeth in too. We've been doing oatmeal for awhile & I want to try something new & figured banana next. 

Do I puree it in a blender? Just mash it with a fork? Or, I have one of those little mesh feeders that she can suck some banana through?
Lilypie - Eu0n
BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

Re: Introducing banana!

• I've just been mashing with a fork,
  • edited September 2014
    I wouldn't purée - I made that mistake with DD and it was very liquid.
  • Loading the player...
  • I mashed with a fork, but there were still a few tiny chunks that DS wasn't crazy about. He must have inherited his dad's texture aversion. :-q
  • I smash it with a spoon in a coffee mug.
  • I pressed on the ends until it spilt into its 3 lengthwise wedges and then just handed her one!
  • We did Banana tonight and she shivered at the taste. It was pretty hilarious. I just mash with a spoon
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • FFFC: I buy jarred banana purée. I hate bananas. They gross me out (except in banana bread), so I want to avoid contact with them as much as possible.
    I haven't had LO try them yet. He's been a bit constipated since starting solids, and I'm assuming banana and applesauce would make it worse.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• I've been wondering about peanut butter and seafood and berries...You can't introduce regular milk until a year, but you can start doing watered down juice with solids right?
  • I've been wondering about peanut butter and seafood and berries...You can't introduce regular milk until a year, but you can start doing watered down juice with solids right?

You can. But may I ask why you'd want to? Juice, even 100% fruit juice, is really just sugar. I think AAP recommends holding off on juice until at least a year (not for allergy worries as with honey...purely because it's just really not all that great for you).

Bananas... We're BLWers, too, and he's been doing great with them just in their regular form. The ones I've given him are pretty ripe so they mush easily, as opposed to breaking off in chunks.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • lol... no, talking about a real actual banana...how boring..

FTM here so I was envisioning I didn't mash it enough & she choked on a chunk or something... 
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• ^^^ Yep, DD thinks juice is only available at birthday parties. Thank god school doesn't allow it or we'd be screwed.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Ds is 3. He didn't taste juice till probably 2, and still only gets it as a treat or if we are out. We don't keep it in the house.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD didn't get to try juice until she was well over a year. Even then it was watered down until recently and she is 2. I still water it down if I am the one giving it to her. Luckily my daycare provider will not allow any juice so I just have to worry about DH and other family offering it to her.

I would like to keep LO off it for as long as possible past the year mark but it'll be hard when she sees her sister get it.
  • I've blended banana just enough so the lumps are out but before it goes to watery, lo loves it, I am going to try it in chunks for him to hold next time
  • Thanks all... Mashed a bit up tonight & she made faces like it was super sour lol
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Tried apple today. Maybe banana soon. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Um I just hand him the banana. I seriously never realized feeding a baby was such a hard concept until the bump.
  • ^^^ Yep, DD thinks juice is only available at birthday parties. Thank god school doesn't allow it or we'd be screwed.

Same here... Have never bought juice and she only gets it if we are at a party and another kid gives it to her. Mean parents here ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"