2nd Trimester

Lotus anyone??

Has anyone herd of a lotus birth, where you leave the placenta attached to the infant until it freely falls off? If you have do you find this a little disturbing or am I having a crazy mom/mom-to-be moment?

Re: Lotus anyone??

• abbyful said:

Heard of it, and I think it's weird and unnatural. And gross and unhygienic. Why would you want a hunk of rotting meat attached to a baby for days?!

I'm in favor of delayed cord clamping. But no animal keeps the placenta attached for days after birth. Minutes, yes; days, no.

Same here I just ran across an article about it tonight and had a wtf moment...then freaked over the germ and decomposing flesh thought. Glad I'm not crazy!
  • Loading the player...
  • The placenta is not meant to function outside of your body. It's like dragging around raw meat. I agree with the delayed clamping. But that's as far as I'd ever go.
  • I just had someone come to my studio to paint a placenta bowl to do this. I can't imagine having to care for an infant with a placenta in a salad bowl attached to him. Just not my thing!
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Disturbing.

I guess if you want to do it, ok, but I don't want to be snuggling my newborn with this rotting placenta attached to him.
  • I don't know why I couldn't stop myself from googling this but if anyone else is so inclined ... DON'T
    Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • Wtf is wrong with people??? [-(

Some moms on another board I used to frequent did this. They'd literally be stuck in their bed with baby and a bowl for a day or two. I just don't get this crazy attachment to the placenta.
  • I don't know why I couldn't stop myself from googling this but if anyone else is so inclined ... DON'T
    LOL, I wasn't planning on googling it but after I read your comment I just had to! And GROSS.

So to answer your question OP, no. I don't plan on ever hanging out with my kid's placenta until it falls off on its own. I don't quite the the purpose of doing so either.
    BabyFruit Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I definitely don't understand the concept behind this either... It freaked me out personally, my dh and I are in the medical field and neither of us could come up with a good explanation for doing this other than someone needs their head checked. I guess to each their own but I personally feel like this is putting your newborn in germ danger....glad you ladies agree!

Some moms on another board I used to frequent did this. They'd literally be stuck in their bed with baby and a bowl for a day or two. I just don't get this crazy attachment to the placenta.

Wow, it's usually not my style to judge what other people do with their kids. But this makes NO SENSE whatsoever!!! But that being said, I suppose you learn something new everyday, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"