May 2014 Moms
Options

Diaper Rash

I did a search and couldn't find anything but I'm sure it has been brought up. LO has had a rash almost since week 1. The pediatrician recommended using butt paste and trying to keep her dry. We've done that but at 4 months it looked worse so I asked again. She then suggested hydrocortisone 1% twice a day for three days and then back to butt paste. It got less red but still there and a week later was just as bad. After a discussion with DC that she needed to be changed more than twice in a day they suggested it's a yeast rash. Which has been my thinking all along. I googled one of those first weeks and I've always thought it looked like the picture but the doctor has never agreed. My question is what would you do? Btw- we've tried different diapers and wipes and she doesn't seem to have sensitive skin anywhere else

Re: Diaper Rash

• Options
    I'd buy some Lotrimin and put it on her 3x/day for a week. Top it with Desitin Maximum for extra healing power. Butt Paste doesn't work for everyone.

If it's yeast, the Lotrimin will get rid of it. If it isn't yeast, keep experimenting with other diaper ointments. A&D ointment or even plain petroleum jelly are great preventatives.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Have you tried switching diaper brands? Huggies and Pampers both gave our LO a bad rash. We switched to Luvs and it cleared right up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO had a minor yeast rash. We used nystatin (prescription) cream, but another thing that helped a lot was diaper free time and using warm water washcloths instead of wipes for a couple of days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Yes, 2 diaper changes in 8 hours at DC! I didn't even have to worry about it bc DH flipped out on them. (It wasn't the first time.) Thank you ladies for all your suggestions and advice. It's always great to hear other points of view.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    PattyTC said:

Yes, 2 diaper changes in 8 hours at DC! I didn't even have to worry about it bc DH flipped out on them. (It wasn't the first time.) Thank you ladies for all your suggestions and advice. It's always great to hear other points of view.

WTF. I thought they were required by law to change diapers every 2 hours? At least every daycare I ever visited said they change every 2hours or sooner if there is poop. You got to get them to change LO more often. My kids always get diaper rash if I leave them in poopy diapers longer than 10min.

ETA mustela diaper cream works wonders for us
  • Options
    Geez my DC changes diapers every hour! I used coconut oil on what I suspected was a yeast rash and it cleared right up. I also put aquaphor on LOs bum at night before bed and butt paste as needed which is rare, maybe 1x a month.
  • Options
    Nothing new to add about treatment for the rash but I wanted to say that I hope your DC shapes the F up. Changing diapers twice in at least 8 hours is a shitty thing to do to a baby.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited September 2014
    Wow, that is awful!

If you BF or pump, does your LO have mucousy stools, by any chance? Or any other signs of an intolerance? We had a persistent diaper rash since my LO was about 1 month old. We went back and forth between cloth and disposables, changed wipes, and used all kinds of creams but the rash would keep coming back after a couple of days. I finally decided to try cutting out obvious dairy and bingo! We've been rash free ever since, almost a full month now.
  • Options
    We made our own paste of clotrimazole + aquaphor + zinc and put it on with every change. When there was yellow crust, we added Bactroban to the mix.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    jenb_99 said:

If it's yeast, the Lotrimin will get rid of it. If it isn't yeast, keep experimenting with other diaper ointments. A&D ointment or even plain petroleum jelly are great preventatives.

If it was yeast, you'd think the steroid would have made it worse.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"