October 2013 Moms

Help!

Today is DS's party and he developed a fever yesterday which we got down and nothing else happened. He was fussy during but fine after a nap. This morning he woke up at 5 with a fever gave Motrin and it has gone down. He is fussy off and on. I know he's teething and he has all week, this is his first real fevers. Nothing higher than 100 and most is around 99.5. Any tips or tricks? How long do we let this go on before calling the dr? I know once it gets to 100.6 we call but how many days should we let this happen? I could use all the advice you have!

Re: Help!

• Technically, a baby doesn't have a fever until it hits 100.4, assuming you take it rectally.  His temperature is probably elevated because of teething.  I wouldn't call until it is higher.

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• Is the party at your house? If it were me in this case, I would have the party, and if baby needed to rest, bring him upstairs or to his room. The party is for you/your guests anyway, he can sleep through it.

• Loading the player...
  • The party was at our house and he wasn't horrible. We have given Motrin because he hasn't been drinking much and he's super cranky. We have done everything we can but the fever keeps coming back. I just don't want to wait 2-3 days with him feeling so bad before we call.
  • mancila60 said:
    The party was at our house and he wasn't horrible. We have given Motrin because he hasn't been drinking much and he's super cranky. We have done everything we can but the fever keeps coming back. I just don't want to wait 2-3 days with him feeling so bad before we call.
    Sorry to hear he's feeling poorly. Unfortunately for our LOs, teething discomfort and yes low fevers (or almost-fevers) are normal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

• mancila60 said:

The party was at our house and he wasn't horrible. We have given Motrin because he hasn't been drinking much and he's super cranky. We have done everything we can but the fever keeps coming back. I just don't want to wait 2-3 days with him feeling so bad before we call.

I'm not trying to be snarky but why would you call your pedi bc of a non-fever related to teething? Teething sucks, it is hell, but other than trying to relieve pain there is not anything you can do but wait.

I don't want him to get dehydrated and we are doing everything we can to get him to drink. He has cut his diapers almost in half and where as he normally drinks 12 oz in bottles plus another around 15 oz or so in water today he has gotten maybe 10 oz of anything in him. His eating is ok and yes I know he technically doesn't have a fever but I don't want him to do this back and forth game for days before it stops if there was something else we could do for him. Our pedi has a nurse line we can call instead of the on call dr for less serious things (like this) just for some advice or helpful hints. Unfortunately I know we just have to wait it out but I would like to make him as comfortable as possible and nothing seems to be working.
  • I hope that your LO starts feeling better soon. DS has had a fever going on for about 2 days now. Thought it was teething related, but he was around 102 in the mornings and was 104.5 when I put him to bed last night so I took him to the dr this morning only to be told to keep doing what I was doing and bring him back in Monday if it didn't break by then. So they probably won't have much to tell you even if you do call. It's hard when our littles don't feel good

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @wedding06‌ he does great with a sippy and he will drink some from it right now but not a lot. He is still eating purees and his eating is fine but I had the same thought with the water. So I am trying to keep that in him. The nurse line actually told us to try pedialyte that he may like the flavor of it right now and he may drink it over water.

We too have a baby who doesn't get popsicles. He tries because he likes the cold but doesn't get far. We are trying the cold teething toys but they warm up fast.

Thank you ladies for the help in easing my mind. I feel so bad for him and want to make sure we are doing all we can. This is his first time to have anything close to a fever. Even his viral infection months ago didn't cause a fever so I'm a little clueless with this aspect.
  • Have you tried the Hyland teething tabs? My Oct 13 baby is my second and he's teething too. The tabs work well for him and worked for his older sister as well, to alleviate some of the pain.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• speaking of crying teething babies. anyway...

you can try Hyland's teething tablets. I swear by them- they work really well. You can also try an amber teething necklace. It's controversial but IME they also work really well. So far DD2 has not needed Motrin between the necklace and tablets.

It's not unusual for a baby to not as much when they are teething because their teeth hurt. One thing I do that seems to help is to give baby a cold teether or wash cloth right before they eat to ease some pain. I found that the girls would eat more when I did that, but they refuse solids and only want to nurse, not vice versa. But you can try it.

Unfortunately teething can last a while. DD1 i always a *SS but her teeth would always take about 8 weeks to come through. So she would have 2-4 days of fussy/gnawing/99.5-100* temp and then would have a few days of rest, and then another few days of teething hell and then another few days of rest for 8 weeks. Every.single.time.

Another thought- if this is your first time experiencing teething I am assuming he has 0 teeth right now. He could be getting a lot at once which will make his teething 10x worse.

He has 8 teeth! None have been this bad. We have given the cold wash cloths and teething rings. We have the tablets and necklaces and everything else because he has been teething since 4 months old. We thought we had been through the worst of it already. But none of the other times had a temp spike. He had 3 teeth show up last week with no problems.
  • There is a fever viral infection going around. DD had it along with my niece and several ppl I know. Basically just a fever over 102-105 for 2-5 days. No other symptoms besides lethargy. Hopefully it passes for you soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"