May 2014 Moms

Fits?

Because I saw this in the sleep thread I thought I would see who else is having this problem and what helps!

DS is usually a pretty good napper. The last week it's a total fight to go down. I mean as soon as I see him rub those eyes and yawn I know it's time. I pick him up and turn him around and he knows and it starts. Screaming, kicking, and just won't go down even with the shushing and white noise like usual. Eventually he will pass out and as soon as I put him in his crib dead asleep he wakes up and starts throwing a fit again. Mind you he sleeps in his crib every night and puts himself to sleep but this is just ridiculous! Anyone else in the same boat? Growth spurt maybe?

Re: Fits?

• I am right there with you! DD throws a fit when it is time for a nap. What has been working for us is the paci, plus rocking, plus singing. Baby Beluga is her favorite and she calms down right away. It's about half and half over here whether she goes down or wakes back up when we put her down. Guess I don't have much for helpful advice, but know you're not alone.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited September 2014
    I mentioned this in the sleep thread I am right there with you. Glad you made a seperate thread because I was curios about this new behavior and if anyone else is having the same issue. She also crys when I lay her down in my arms even if she's tired. Then when she falls asleep she wakes when put down or shortly after. She also goes down at night and puts herself back to sleep in the middle of the night if she's not hungry. I'm glad I'm not alone! Sometimes the ocean noise calms her. Also patting her bottom.

• Loading the player...
  • Same here. DS goes to sleep in his crib on his own every night. Naps are a disaster. He falls asleep no problem in the car. He fights sleep to no end. The weird thing is, if I put him in his swing to nap, he cries but even holding him doesn't stop the fussing. That article someone posted about tension relievers is reassuring. I hate for him to fall asleep upset but nothing helps. When does this get easier?? In some ways it is but this whole 4 month regression has us up every 2 hours and fussing for no reason. I feel like I have a newborn again
  • Same here! @THD7580‌ this is us exactly! I have no advice. For me, I just been holding him for naps, so he gets some sort of sleep in. I asked the doctor about it the other day, she had nothing! It seems to get worse to get him down for naps. LO has never been a good napper though.
  • Good to see we are all in the same boat! I'm assuming it must be a developmental thing.. DH will hold him to nap when he is home and DS will sleep for about 2 hours! If I lay him down I get 30-1 tops. And then when he wakes up with me he will yawn for about an hour straight. I can't win. Babies be cray. :((
  • Another commiserating mama here! Although naps have never been great for us to begin with, so this is only slightly worse than what we were already dealing with. 

DD has always cried before naps. It doesn't matter if I catch her on the first yawn and eye rub, we still have a fight. Usually a little walking and rocking in her room with white noise (facing her out, I've never been able to cradle her) and then I can put her in the crib with a paci. It might take a few tries, but eventually she'll go to sleep. If she wakes up within 20 minutes (which she usually does) I give in and put her in the swing and she'll usually go back to sleep for another 30-45 minutes. 

The past few days have been horrible. She cries and screams no matter what I do. It's so frustrating that she cries when I'm trying to rock and snuggle her. It's like she wants nothing to do with me. But she cries if I put her down too, so I'm totally at a loss. She's never had to nurse to sleep for naps, but that's what I've been resorting to. I really hope this is a temporary thing (teething, maybe?) and I'm not creating a bad habit. 

Like PP, though, bedtime it still fine and she STTN 10 hours in her crib. But during the day, it's made of hot lava (and apparently I am too unless my boob is out, ugh).
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • @LunaBug924‌ same thing here with the nursing thing. She has mostly always nursed but then I can pull her off before she's completely asleep. Now she wants to suck forever and I hope it's not a bad habit as well!

• You are not alone. Typically, to get DS to go down for a nap, I either have to put him in my bed and nap with him, or put him in his MommaRoo & sit in front of him, until he passes out. And even this, I only get 30 to 45 minutes max. And he sleeps well in his crib at night, but for naps, forget it.

We're the opposite. Most times he goes down for naps without too much of a fuss, but on the nights he doesn't nurse to sleep, we often have to work hard to get him to sleep.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Cook251 said:

It's like you all have been dealing with my child! And if one more person either tells me "she just doesn't want to sleep" or "she's probably not getting enough to eat" they are gonna get punched in the throat!

Amen.
  • Us too! LO a quite child too. Never cries/fusses for anything unless it's:food, diaper, or tired. However, going down for naps are becoming a struggle. DH refers to it as "Mommy-itis" because he thinks that LO only cries with him. Not the case. Going down for the night is a sinch though and when he is in the car there is not even a whimper before he falls asleep... Nevertheless, as with all the PP, saddly I have no advice just empathy.
  • We are dealing with this also. LO is a great sleeper at night, goes down so easily, in his crib, sleeps through the night. But naps...you would think he was being tortured. He also absolutely will not let us put him down for a nap either on top of fighting them to the death. No solutions unfortunately.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Yup, same thing! Fighting the naps like crazy, but completely fine going down at night. I don't get it!
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Soo I said bedtime has been ok but then last night happened. So tired of these fits. I feel like if she's going to have a fit on me she might as well have one in her crib. I of course start to feel bad after a minute and take her out again. Right now she looks wide awake in her crib but not making any sounds so in gonna see what happens. The dreaded 4 am!

• Kaylee524Kaylee524 member
    edited September 2014
    Hopefully I can give you all a little hope and hopefully it's not just us - I was having the same problems with DS and then his two little bottom teeth broke through. Since then, he will usually go down for naps and bedtime drowsy but awake with a pacifier. We hit the four month wakeful pretty quickly after that so it's still been rough at night, but at least he isn't fighting naps as much.

image     image    
  • My DD is fighting sleep altogether. Naps, bedtime, doesn't matter cause she's not having any of it. I nursed her for hours last night just to get her to calm after a screaming fighting sleep fit. My nips are never gonna be the same.
  • DD2 hasn't fought naps yet. She nurses to sleep and will happily nap 3 hours if I stay in bed with her and let her suck on my boob. Terrible habit. If she isn't sucking she might sleep up to an hours if I try to transfer her to the cosleeper she usually wakes up and scream. The one really fighting naps right now is DD1 I have to wrestle her and pin her down for 45min until she falls asleep!
  • We have bow started the endless sucking as well. My nip is raw. She throws a fit if I put her on the other side and just had a major meltdown when I took it away. Needless to say she's back to sucking. Ugh!

• QOTR said:
    You are not alone. Typically, to get DS to go down for a nap, I either have to put him in my bed and nap with him, or put him in his MommaRoo & sit in front of him, until he passes out. And even this, I only get 30 to 45 minutes max. And he sleeps well in his crib at night, but for naps, forget it.
    We're the opposite. Most times he goes down for naps without too much of a fuss, but on the nights he doesn't nurse to sleep, we often have to work hard to get him to sleep.
    How quickly things turn!   Yesterday and today we've had a horrible fight at nap time too. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • My little one did this for a week or so as I stated before but she has all the sudden stopped. We are on vacation with family and she's been staying up longer stretches so she's been really tired when it's nap time but she just fusses to let me know and hasn't cried being put to sleep. If she tries to play then I just let her stay up another 10 minutes and she's usually ready. We are at the end of a wonder week so that could be the reason for he change as well. I'm just hoping this can bring some hope because I feel like she's finally getting better about it.

• @cook251, I hope your day got better! Thursday all day and Friday morning were especially rough here and then things turned around. Today has been a great sleep day. I'm not trying to rub it in, but to remind you that things can change so quickly. I know I have a hard time remembering that when I'm in the thick of it. I hope you get a break soon.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • So DS was fighting me again this afternoon I was pretty much rocking him and holding him down at this time and I stopped shushing and started signing and he was out in 2 min! Ummm.. So either he hates my singing or my voice makes such sweet lullabies he fell asleep. I'm gonna go with option 2 and pay myself on the back. He slept for a whole 30 min. Sigh. I miss 2 hour naps
  • DS just started fighting his sleep. We will hold him until he CIOs, there is nothing we can do. Sometimes rocking him while standing helps but most times he just has his 5 minute fit and passes out in or arms.
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"