December 2012 Moms
Options

Transitioning Out of Crib - Room Not Safe?

Ds was born last week and we are thinking about how to transition DD out of her crib, so we can use it for the new baby when he's ready.  It's time to do so anyway, as lately after she wakes up she sticks her knee inbetween the rails and cries because it's stuck.  She now has terrible bruises on the sides of her knee, and we don't know how to get her to stop doing it!  We would like to try letting her sleep on a mattress on the floor, but I don't know how we will ever leave her alone in her room without removing everything from it first.  #1 the cords to the blinds.  She has started to pull on them lately.  I guess we just tie them up high?  #2 Her chair, as much as we tell her not to, she has and could stand up on it and fall out.  #3. Her bookshelf.  We can mount it but it still makes me nervous. What if she pulls on it and all the books fall on her? Everything seems to be a hazard.  Ugh.  Any tips from those of you who have made the transition?  Have there been any hazards, or am I worrying too much?  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Transitioning Out of Crib - Room Not Safe?

• Options
    We switched her blinds for the cordless kind (we got new ones from Lowes). Otherwise, we've left the other things in there. She has a bookcase, dresser, and a chair, plus her bed. For the most part, she's left them alone. She'll sometimes take toys or books off the shelf or her clothes out of the dresser, but nothing too bad.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    We tied the blind chords up. Dd leaves most things alone. We have an open bin of toys to entice her if she wakes up and doesn't immediately yell for us. She can't work the door knob yet. But usually, she just plays with her stuffies in her bed until we come and get her.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, the other thing is that DD doesn't like to be alone, so she yells for us pretty much as soon as she's awake. Depending on how your LO does playing on her own, it might not be a concern at all.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    we use a binder clip on the string for thr blinds, there are also special do-hickeys that are in the baby proofing section of the store. We have the round cylinder thing, works for hubby, but tends to fall apart for me.

You could put the crib matteress on the floor, and start doing naps that way, then you have a nap or two to see how your Lo is. We were unitially worried about the same thing & thought we needed to remove everything. Did change the arm chair into a foot stool (so hubby has a spot to sit at bedtime) but the dresser, the changing table & book case (which is fairly empty) has been fine. We do store her toys & most books & her diaper pail elsewhere. The clean diapers do have to be kept out of her reach.

As with evetything else, the first 3 days/nights are rough, but was a lot better afterwards. I do still sleep with her a lot though (we had been cosleeping prior).
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No advice since DD is still in her crib, but I do think it is a good idea to mount tall furniture to the wall. We have the bookshelves, dressers, and our living room tv mounted to the wall. She's never shown an interest, but that is one of those things that you don't want to learn about the hard way and it's an inexpensive and easy thing to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"