Breastfeeding
Options

7 week old refusing breast

All of a sudden my seven week old is sometimes refusing nursing. She is obviously hungry but won't latch on. Instead she just screams and cries. She has only had maybe three bottles ever, is she having nipple confusion? Am I going to have to switch to EP'ing? Is this still the six week growth spurt? It's so hard to deal with and I just don't know what to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 7 week old refusing breast

• Options
    My LO had occasional periods like this where he was clearly hungry, but didn't want to latch.  I think sometimes they just get overtired.  What worked for me- patting him firmly on the butt, putting an arm under him and jiggling him, or even standing and swaying while nursing him.  And sometimes I would just give him a bottle because I knew he was hungry, but wouldn't settle down.  Sometimes they just do that.  It feels like a huge rejection, but hang in there.  It's normal, and temporary.
  • Options
    I rarely ever post but this happened to us and I remember how horrible it is. We fixed it by nursing when she was still sleepy (ie at first signs of movement after a nap). After a few days she was back to normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"