February 2014 Moms
Options

Working Moms Check In

Good morning and happy Friday mamas! So, since it's the first one, I'll throw out some things I think it'd be good to talk about, but let me know if you think anything should be added or changed for future check-ins. I'm in training today at school and am not sure how much time I'll have to check back in, but I'll be back this evening for sure :) Have a great Friday ladies!

1. What was your biggest success this week (at work or at home)?

2. What was most challenging this week (at work or at home)?

3. What have you done this week to make time for your family? For yourself?

GTKY: What is your most challenging time of day on work days? How do you handle it or how can we support you?

Bonus GTKY: What do you do for work?

F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working Moms Check In

• Options
    @greenbunny79, that would make me so mad about the nanny! One of the great things about a nanny as opposed to other childcare is that LO gets to stay in his/her own home. If I remember correctly, you've had other problems with the nanny, too, haven't you?

As for dinner, when we just had DS, we always used to eat dinner after he was in bed for the night. It was much less stressful! We'd get home and play for a bit, relax, give him a bath and read stories, then we'd eat after bedtime. Now that he's 4, that's not an option. He needs to eat (obviously) and family meal time is really important to us. It definitely didn't start out that way, though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @greenbunny79, it really varies for us. LO doesn't go down til 830, so we have a bit more time. If MH is home, generally I cook while he feeds LO her dinner around 7, and then we eat while she plays in the high chair. If he's not home, I'll usually eat after she goes to bed unless it's something I can prep really quick (like last night, I had a salad so I was able to eat while she played in the high chair). We've always eaten dinner super late, so it's not really a big deal. But when she's a little older, no idea how or if we'll make "family dinner" work if MH's not home.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Options
    I made it to Friday!

We have a new boss and there is a lot of clashing between him and the members of my department.  Most of the issues haven't directly involved me so I've stayed mostly out of it, but it's created a major morale issue.

I went running twice which is good for me.  

GTKY: What is your most challenging time of day on work days? How do you handle it or how can we support you?
    I actually have the hardest time after work.  I don't get home until almost 7 and I feel like I have no time to work out, feed LO, hang out with him and get chores done.

I work in marketing.  I mostly deal with email marketing.
  • Options

cara5565  I have a hard time fitting a work out into my work days too. LO's wake up time is so unpredictable these days I can't depend on having enough time to get a work out in. The late afternoon/evening shuffle is to hectic to try and exercise plus those are my few precious hours with the kids. 

Can someone share their working out secret? How do you fit it in?

@elf828 Enjoy your massage!! I'm very jealous. I hope your trip goes by super quick!

@mummypigPenguin173  about feeling disconnected from your SO. Our relationship has definitely been more strained now that we have LO. I will say that I have been participating in the 30 day challenge-- we can't DTD daily because his work schedule is erratic-- things are starting to feel more "normal".

• Options
    sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited September 2014
    At work, this is the first week in awhile that I wasn't traveling, so I got to catch up quite a bit (though the to-do list is still long).  At home, last night I bathed both kids together successfully for the first time, with DS in his little bath seat, and put them to bed by myself while DH watched football, and it went pretty well.  Oh, and DD "helped" me bake banana bread on Wednesday evening and she had a great time.

At home...hmmm...I think we need to really focus on potty training DD soon and that sounds like a huge amount of work.  There's a bit of a fire drill today at work due to a big personnel change at an investment manager that many of our clients use.

I went to a work happy hour last night for just over an hour.  It was short but good to get out.  Of course I only drank 1.5 glasses of wine (I realized that if I finished the second one I shouldn't drive home), but still woke up in the middle of the night with a headache.  I'm such a lightweight now.  We also went to DH's company family day at the zoo Sunday and that was a lot of fun.  They brought in some really awesome animals and did a program for the kids.

Like many moms, the hardest time of day for me is from the time I get home until bedtime.  The kids are so much happier in the morning.  DH is already home with the kids when I get there and I feel like I walk into chaos many evenings.  DD is getting whinier as she gets further into age 2.

I advise institutional investors (pension funds, endowments, foundations, etc.) on their investments.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    My workload had reached an overwhelming volume at work, and by redirecting some of it (accepting help) and working hard, I almost feel back on top of things.

LO's sleep is still erratic although the end of the week has gone better than the beginning. So tired. The one thing that made me cry was having to dump out 20oz of pumped milk that I prepped last night and then accidentally left on the counter. I really wanted it to still be good, but 9ish hours at 73 degrees, I just couldn't use it.

I planned simple meals and pre-prepped a few things to make it faster at night. Haven't done much for myself this week.

Like almost everyone else, the time between getting home from work and getting both kids in bed is the hardest. I try to have quick/simple meals planned and start as soon as we walk in the door. Some nights work better than others. Often DD2 is ready to go to sleep while we're still eating dinner, so I get very little time with her. Routine is important for us. If you deviate, it almost always results in a fit from DD1.

I'm in the medical device regulatory field.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1. What was your biggest success this week (at work or at home)? Cooking at home every night! Dh and I love going out to eat, so this was big! 

2. What was most challenging this week (at work or at home)? Our finances are in disarray, DH owns a construction company and business has been slow all year. So this week there were a lot of serious discussions on how to spend less (motivator for eating in this week) We have started a no-spend October budget. 

3. What have you done this week to make time for your family? For yourself? Wow, I have literally done no 'me' time. I just realized this! I do have a Sunday night meeting with Doterra representatives. They just had a huge convention and have come back to fill us in on all the new info/products. So, hopefully I can go to that. Although, most likely I'll be bringing M anyway. 

GTKY: What is your most challenging time of day on work days? How do you handle it or how can we support you? We've worked out a system that works so far, Dh wakes up with M at 7, feeds/dresses/takes him to daycare, I pick M up. I make dinner, give M a bath and do bedtime. Then I do MOTN wake ups and we start all over again! Since we designated daycare drop offs and pick ups and who does mornings, things are much better. Evenings are busy, but not that bad...this week! 

I make sure crew members are qualified to fly commercially. Occasionally I work in operations (weight/balance) and I am a flight attendant too!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    1. What was your biggest success this week (at work or at home)? I think I'd have to go with Wednesday night dinner.  I actually got out of work on time (normally end up being here an extra 30+ minutes) and when I got home, H had baby G's solids and a bottle all setup and ready for me to feed him. :-)  When I'm running late, H usually is too, and then G's very frustrated and cries for/throughout his food (even if I give him his bottle first he just is too tired and hungry - jbbb)

2. What was most challenging this week (at work or at home)? I'm working extra hours this week (9a-1130p Tuesday, and 9a-8p today) so I miss out on dinner and bedtime (though I might make it for bedtime tonight).  On top of that H is passiveagressively leaving all the dishes and bottles in the sink to see if/when I'll get around to washing them...  Which would be fine if he was busy, but he actually played video games Tuesday while I was at work, for at least 5 hours...

3. What have you done this week to make time for your family? For yourself?  For me, I worked extra, and took some good showers while H kept an eye on babyG.  For the family, we went out for a boat ride on Sunday and H even let DSD and me drive!

GTKY: What is your most challenging time of day on work days? How do you handle it or how can we support you?  Hmmm that's a hard one.  Mornings are usually rough - especially when H is expecting me to have gotten babyG up, changed and happy before he watches him while I shower (instead of being extra helpful and getting him out of his pnp-bed and watching him for me right away... it's even better when he chooses an outfit (albeit a mismatched one) and gets him all ready for dc.  Evenings are hard, as I already mentioned I get home right in time for babyGs dinner, so if one of us is a little late, we're thrown off...  But maybe the hardest is staying focussed and present while I'm at work...

Bonus GTKY: What do you do for work?  I am a computer analyst for a hospital laboratory information system and a Medical Laboratory Scientist (new term, we used to just be Medical Technologists) - which means when you all got your blood work done during pregnancy, people like me were the ones who ran all of your tests (and may have drawn your blood too)
    formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • Options

wow, @ranfan05, that was impressive.  You are definitely good at this check-in management thing!

@wildflower26, I'm sorry you're having a tough time.  Did you figure out the childcare situation?

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
  • Options

@wildflower26, any chance you can re-direct some of the former nanny budget to hire a college student or someone with a flexible schedule to help you with the transportation?  That was one of my jobs in college.  Even if it's just one ride there every morning, you could get to work earlier...

• Options
  • Options
    I'm sorry to all the ladies with DH's who could be doing more to help. It's hard enough to be a working mom with full support and help from DH, let alone trying to do it without those things. ((hugs)) ladies!

• Options
  • Options
    @greenbunny79‌ Yeah.. I wouldn't be ok with that. She should have discussed this with you instead of just taking LO to her house. How long were they there? If it was a quick trip like, "oh I forgot my glasses" I would still be upset but not ready to fire her. It sounds like she spent a decent amount of time there so that's a different story. If you decide to keep her, I would set clear expectations. She is to stay at your house with LO. If there is a need to deviate from this expectation you should be asked in advance. Obviously emergencies happen but this was not the case. Sorry, I know how much it sucks to question the quality of your childcare.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"