3rd Trimester
Options

38 weeks and 1cm dilated

So i went to a doctors appointment today and he told me i was 1cm dilated. My due date isnt till october 10th. Could he be coming early!?(: and is there any way to speed it up?

Re: 38 weeks and 1cm dilated

• Options
     I'm one cm NOW at 34 weeks, I'll probably end up walking around at 3 or 4 like I always have, past due.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yea I was 3 cm dilated at 35/36 weeks. Went almost a week overdue and that was being induced. We had sex, walked, drank raspberry leaf tea, ate spicy foods and nothing. If baby isn't ready I don't think any of that stuff works. Understand being anxious! You're almost done :)
  • Options
    I was 1 cm at 30 weeks with my first, and then 3 cm and 80% effaced and -2 station at 35 weeks. I was 5 cm at 37, and still 5 cm with a bulging bag at 38. I was induced later that night. I made it to nearing transition before labor started.

I made it to 6 cm before being induced with my second, and didn't begin labor until 8 cm. And walked around for a week at 5 cm with my fourth, and made it to 6 cm before he was born. I was around 4 cm at 33 weeks with my 3rd.

While cervical progression prior to labor is a good thing, it doesn't tell you much as far as when labor will kick in.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    Dilation doesn't predict when labor will start.

My OB offered me the option of doing the membrane sweep starting at 39 weeks to try to induce labor. There's no guarantee that it will work though. So you can ask your OB if that's something that could be an option for you. I'm personally opting out and letting the baby cook until she's ready (or 41 weeks if she goes overdue).
  • Options
    I was 2 cm dialated for weeks, up until I went to the hospital to be induced at 41 weeks. You could go into labor tomorrow or 3 weeks from now!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Adding onto this post...understanding that early dilation means nothing, is it actually a good thing?  For example, if I'm already 4cm dilated when I go into labor...that means the painful contractions only have to get me 6 more cm dilated, right?  
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    I'm due 10/17 and also 1cm dilated as of yesterday's appointment. It can mean everything and nothing all at once. Sorry, OP.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited September 2014
    nolanova85 said: Adding onto this post...understanding that early dilation means nothing, is it actually a good thing?  For example, if I'm already 4cm dilated when I go into labor...that means the painful contractions only have to get me 6 more cm dilated, right?  
    ------------ Quotebox fail-----------
    In my experience, absolutely. Dilation and effacement prior to labor
    do mean something. It means the body is preparing and getting ready. That's something even if it's not labor itself. While it may not mean much as far as predicting labor, it means X fewer cm when labor does kick in. In my previous births, I made it to 5, 6 and 7+ cm before the onset of "labor." That made for extremely fast labors/births, with 3 hours being the longest, my first. So I totally welcome getting to 5, 6 or 7 cm before the onset of labor if that means a relatively quick and easy process.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    It means nothing. Slow your roll, full term is now considered 40 weeks. Let that baby cook and stop being concerned with speeding it up.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I completly understand how you feel being anxious is all a part of the deal. Being dilated is a good thing. I'm due on the 10th as well but am having a sweep done on the third. Full term is 38 weeks so don't feel like your being selfish. If your doctor says its OK only the two of you know your situation. This is my fifth and last so hang in there it will all be over soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"