Special Needs
Options

Dentist advice?

DS1 fell and chipped his front tooth last night (yep, the cap to my GREAT day)

So I took him to a dentist today that is supposedly great with special needs kids.

Well I found out today that it means the dentist uses earplugs and they have a papoose board.  They strapped DS1 down, used a wedge to hold his mouth open and ignored the screaming and cleaned his teeth and filed the sharp edge down.

The dentist also said that after this visit they don't want me coming back in the room.  He also mentioned they do not use any sedation in this office.

I don't know. My gut is telling me that this isn't right for DS1.  He has no ability to understand. However, he doesn't seem to develop "fear".  He "remembers" (not sure if it's truly remembered or a coincidence) which room to go to at the physiatrists office. Yet never freaks out at the pedi's no matter how many vaccines he gets.  He doesn't associate people with causing pain.  He won't give nurses the cold sholder after getting shots.

So do I just deal with the trauma unless he develops an aversion to going to the dentist?  I know sedation comes with it's own risks but it kills me to think of the torture.  He was literally soaked in sweat.  And he has a cold so between all the screaming and phlegm he ended up vomiting all over himself as soon as I got him in the car.  However, he perked up quickly and didn't seem any worse for the wear outside of being thirst and hungry.
To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: Dentist advice?

• Options
    No I would not be okay with this.  There are other accommodations to make to help make the experience better. - even so we *just* had a fully successful cleaning at age 6.

Our Pedi has fun gumball type machines in the lobby where the kids get a coin after their visit to get a prize.  There are iPads in the waiting room, TV's on the wall to watch while they get cleaned.

I bring DS's preferred toothpaste (watermelon) he would gag and refuse theirs, we use unflavored kid "stick" flossers, and they have to wear the plain gloves not the cherry scented ones.  Ear plugs and sunglasses are also helpful.

When DS cracked a tooth 2 years ago we did sedation - right in the office.  it was pricey, not not covered by our insurance, but worth it.

I would def shop for a new dentist.
  • Options
    That sounds like absolute torture!

I would not be able to go through with that at a dentist office for DS.

There would be times I would hold DS down for a pediatrician to examine him but that is it. Well, I would also be the one to hold DS down for medicine he had to take when he was ill while DH issued the dosage.

I would try my utmost to find another dentist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lite-brightlite-bright member
    edited September 2014
    Honestly, this sounds downright barbaric to me. No sedation? You can't come to the room? No. Nonono. I can't believe this person has a reputation for being "great" with kids with SN!

I get that there wasn't a chance to try easing him into things because he had a tooth that needed to be cared for. And there are some kids or adults who may always fight dental care whether you try to ease them into it or not. I get that. But they could solve those issues and make it far, far less traumatic for your DS if they used a sedation method. I could even understand using those kind of drastic restraint methods as a last resort if they think there are too many risks with sedation in a particular patient, or in an urgent situation. But that is their default treatment method for kids with SN? That just doesn't sound like a caring, patient or compassionate approach to dental care for kids with SN to me. 

We go to a family dentist. They know DD1 has ASD, I always accompany both my kids and either have them on my lap or hold their hands during cleanings, and they eased both my girls into cleanings by baby steps every six months (first just counting teeth, then doing a little scraping, then moving up to the polisher, which freaked DD1 out a bit at first, etc.). DD1 was able to go through having two teeth pulled in the past few months with no sedation, just some numbing ointment and injections in her gums. (FTR, they did offer sedation but I thought she'd be okay without it.) She wasn't happy about it, but she tolerated it pretty well, even the shots -- in large part because they've worked with us for a few years now to make sure that she has a positive experience when she's there. 

It can be done, I think, with the right professional in your corner. And even if getting him to tolerate dental care while awake is a long road, there are alternatives so that he doesn't end up bathed in sweat and vomiting after a trip to the dentist. 

ETA: I've also been party to helping restrain my kids -- both of them, typical and ASD -- during medical procedures at ages or in situations where they didn't have the understanding or impulse control not to fight. Most memorably when DD2 stuck a crayon tip up her nose and had to have it tweezed out at the pedi. I don't want to come across like I think that it's never appropriate to do so. But in this case I would have a real, serious issue with their approach. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    no. don't go back

go to a pediatric dentist.

they can use sedation when needed,  screaming like that is not ok.  It is stressful to your child.  I know you didn't know but this is not ok and telling you not to come in the room is a huge red flag.  I was allowed to be in the room when my non ASD child was sedated. .

I would advocate not letting this happen at any medical visit that can be painful and lengthy.
    @wife07mom09 this was a pediatric dentist.  it was recommended to us by DS1's physical therapist.  His website even says special needs friendly
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    no. don't go back

go to a pediatric dentist.

they can use sedation when needed,  screaming like that is not ok.  It is stressful to your child.  I know you didn't know but this is not ok and telling you not to come in the room is a huge red flag.  I was allowed to be in the room when my non ASD child was sedated. .

I would advocate not letting this happen at any medical visit that can be painful and lengthy.
    @wife07mom09 this was a pediatric dentist.  it was recommended to us by DS1's physical therapist.  His website even says special needs friendly
    Then I would tell the therapist about the experience and I'd also consider leaving a review on Yelp or Google to warn other parents. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"