Working Moms

nwmr: Do we need a new dish washer?

edited September 2014 in Working Moms
I came home yesterday to the smell of mold-gross! 

It was coming from the dish washer. Since last year at least our dish washer has sometimes not been draining and sometimes leaking onto the floor when it runs. This mold smell is new. Dh is wondering if we should have a plumber come out and I personally am just hoping we can go or lowes and get a new dish washer and that will fix the problem. The plumber route seems like more trouble (I know..lm horrible, but sometimes I don't want to take the time to try to fix what we have, which in my experience involves multiple visits and then in the end still need to replace our stuff).

Do any of y'all know what the best course her is? Should we call a plumber? Should we just/can we just get a new dish washer? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

Re: nwmr: Do we need a new dish washer?

• I don't know the answer but I do know that the hook-up line from the sink to the dishwasher is not that long so you might be able to pull it out and check to see how secure the line is and just disconnect it (bucket underneath and clean the line yourself and see if that does the trick). That is if you all are up for the challenge. My husband isn't handy at all but I am and I will usually see if I can fix it before calling someone out.

If your appliances are anything like ours, however, I'd consider buying new. The builder put the cheapest stove/dishwasher in our home. In our last home, I got a great deal on a dishwasher at Sears for $250 (had all the buttons, sanitizing modes, top rack only wash, etc). I'd bet the one we have is probably a $100 or less.

• minirellaminirella member
    edited September 2014
    Also, the line runs directly to your sink. It might not be the dishwasher that is stinking but in fact the garbage disposal - if you have one. Although, I'll be honest....if it is leaking, you may really have an issue and you'll want to check it out before it causes a bigger problem (like rotting wood or a mold problem that has to be treated professionally).
  • Loading the player...
  • We had similar issues (minus the leaking).  We had several repair visits (home warranty; we moved last year).  They cleaned out the bottom (you would not believe the stuff under there).  You can lift the screen in the bottom and remove the rotor (it all snaps back together) and remove all the gunk.  It might be preventing draining.  In our case, it wasn't the issue.  I don't know what the issue was, but the night after we returned from vacation I went to Home Depot and bought a new dishwasher.  It was worth the expense to spare my time and the headache of trying to figure it out.  And, I was also never really convinced things were CLEAN....

• I would call the plumber first, because there are a lot of pipes and connections back there, and it might not be the dishwasher at all.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Our home is older - from the 60's. All of our appliances are from 1990ish. They are good quality stuff for the most part-Jenn Air stove, built in microwave and oven. The dishwasher is a Frigidaire, though, and I think is very basic and since maybe a year after we bought the house it's been like this.

And yeah...I am concerned is that somehow it isn't the dishwasher at all, so then we'd have a brand new dishwasher that still leaks...maybe ONE plumber visit and then replace.

\image  image

• Call the plumber. We had an issue with our sink backing up into the dishwasher. Turned out the solution was putting in a little hook and hanging the hose on that hook to prevent the backup. It was just that easy to fix a really gross problem.
  • We had an issue with ours not draining and it turned out that the hose that was connected to the drain was too small and not hooked up properly so the water wasn't able to get out.  That said, if the dishwasher is old and not worth much I'd probably upgrade because you could probably get a new one for not much more than a repair visit, and any plumbing issues may become apparent during installation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"