Breastfeeding

5.5 month refusing bottle

DS is 5.5 months old. He had been taking bottles from my mom and husband without problem since he was about 2 months old. About 2 weeks ago, he started refusing bottles. Yesterday, he only ate 2 oz while I was gone (9 hours).  I know he won't starve (he's definitely making up for it at night), but he's miserable during the day because he's so hungry and I'm miserable all day since I'm not sleeping well at night.  We use the Avent natural bottles and have also tried the Medela bottles.  We attempted a Nuk sippy cup, but he refused any more than a half oz from that.  Any ideas?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 5.5 month refusing bottle

• Are you possibly using frozen milk instead of fresh? Sometimes a lipase issue can be to blame, which often shows up only when frozen.

Other possibilities are pain from teething, (which does start usually between 4 and 8 months) or just a preference for the tap :) I'd just keep trying to persist with the bottles and if you think it's teething, try a cold teether or Tylenol. I've also heard some babies like cold bottles when teething, though my LO definitely did not.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry to hear that your LO is refusing the bottle.  That can be so stressful!  PP's mentioned some very possible reasons for why LO stopped taking the bottle.  Definitely keep trying.  My guy did the same thing between 3-5 months (thank goodness I was still on leave).  We tried all different kinds of bottles, sippy cups, straw cups...  while he loves his Zoli straw cup, he ended up taking the most from the bottle we started with (comotomo).  LO also likes his milk really REALLY warm.  In fact, he will stop taking the bottle if the milk cools off too much so my mom ends up having to reheat it in order for him to finish.  Hopefully this is just a short phase you guys.  Hang in there and GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Teething pain is absolutely a possibly, and I didn't even think about that causing him to refuse bottles.  He has hard bumps in his upper gum (not the lower yet though. weird.), has been chewing on EVERYTHING and drooling like crazy.

He's always preferred breast to bottle, but it has gotten so so much worse.

I'll be giving the Zoli a try and having mom and DH try different temperatures.  I get so upset knowing he's refusing, although he has been very cheerful for being so hungry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"