February 2013 Moms

How much are you're LOs talking?

AmstreagleAmstreagle member
edited September 2014 in February 2013 Moms
Ds doesn't talk very much. His vocabulary is pretty much "hi kitty", "hi", "bye", "kisses"', "mama", "bobba", "dada" and "gamma". I'm sure there's a little more. He doesn't really put phrases together a whole lot and I was curious where your LOs are at. Is ds behind for being 19 months?

Re: How much are you're LOs talking?

• Based on the milestones chart we got at DD's 18 month appointment, it seems like you LO is right on target. But Kelly's right, there's a huge range of normal at this age. And kids who hit milestones earlier in one area may be slower to meet milestones in another. DD started talking early and has a ton of words, but she didn't take a single step on her own until she was 15.5 months and wasn't truly walking until a month after that. So it was kind of hard to eat about everyone's LOs who were not just walking, but running and climbing, but I also kept in mind that walking is normal anytime between 9 and 18 months, so she wasn't technically delayed, even if she was behind a lot of the other kids here.

• Loading the player...
  • DS says a lot of words, but honestly it might be things only DH and I understand and hes not putting a ton of phrases together. He will say "need help" or when he falls he says "im ok".  Try not to compare or worry. I think DS talks alot, but it may be nothing compared to what some other 19 mo olds are saying! Like PP said, there is a wide range of normal. I remember when DS wasnt walking at 13 months and I was flipping out. Now I cant get him to sit still for one minute!
  • kelly321 said:
    There is such a wide range of normal that you should really try to avoid comparing. Some of the babies on here are going to be really advanced and the proud mamas will be happy to post (nothing wrong with that!), and those that are more behind might be reluctant to post. In general, if your pedi isn't concerned, then you probably don't need to be.

This.  

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Agree with kelly321.

FWIW, my DD1 didn't have the vocabulary you typed above even at 21 months (I remember that random age because it's when she started daycare and I was worried she was way behind).  She's 3 now and she wont stop talking!  Each LO goes at their own pace and there is a wide range of normal.

Besides, I think receptive language is still more important at this age.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks everyone! I was just curious because I'm the only one with a baby that isn't a newborn or closer to 3. I know I shouldn't compare to any one particular LO but had no way to gage him whatsoever.
    He does communicate by pointing and his own "words" but I always considered it almost reflexive and I didn't realize that it is a milestone for him. Thank you all again I appreciate the responses :)
  • I'm with you, OP - DS "says" a few non-word words, and a few real words, but that's it.  He babbles constantly and make all sorts of sounds (including a "th" sound). 

He was an early walker, so I figure that his brain is just too focused on movement to worry about legit talking right now.  He'll talk when the switch gets flipped.  Hopefully soon, I'd like to have a conversation with him!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"