November 2013 Moms

My uncle update. Warning: it's sad.

PeachsMamaPeachsMama member
edited September 2014 in November 2013 Moms

Well my mom text me at work yesterday and said it wasn't good news and we'd talk when I picked up Matthew. He has a tumor the size of an orange on his lung. He has 3 possibilities. The doctor thinks theres a small chance he has lymphoma which has a 70% survival rate. The 2nd option is large cell lung cancer and it has a 20% survival rate. 3rd, and the doctor is pretty sure this is what the bioposy will reveal; is small cell lung cancer and it has a 15% survival rate.

My mom is the 16 year olds next guardian and beneficiary of everything for my uncle. He has enough life insurance to pay off his house and I told my mom DH and I would take guardianship and move so that he doesn't have to switch high schools. If that were to happen it would mean us moving to another state and into a town we hate but I don't care because I just want my cousin to have a little bit of consistency when facing all of this.

Am I crazy? Thinking we could go from being new parents to a baby to raising a teenager? I'm only 21! But there are no other people I want raising him. No one else is going to give him the space and time he needs to heal without getting angry and resentful of his attitude. and trust me he has one! I'm terrified for my uncle. for my cousin. and of possibly becoming a parent to a teenager in less than a year..

Thank you all for your support and prayers. I appreciate it all!

Re: My uncle update. Warning: it's sad.

• Loading the player...
  • JoeLies said:
    I'm so sorry.  I'm holding out hope that it's not the small cell lung cancer they are suspecting.

As for your cousin, I think your gut reaction to take care of your cousin is telling.  It would be incredibly hard for ANYONE to take him on, not just you. Not to belittle your position - most people with a baby in the house probably wouldn't jump at take on a 16 year old.  But you seem to be doing just that.  So I think maybe a question to ask is could you handle NOT doing it?  The other question is how long would you move for: just until he finishes high school or until he's established on his own?  And what does your uncle think of all of this?  He should be the one deciding, ultimately.

I just want to give you, your uncle and your cousin huge hugs.  I'm so sad for you all.

I don't know that I could handle not doing it. I know in my gut that we're the best parents for him if my uncle can't be here for him. We would most definitely stay until he finishes high school and probably until he decides what he wants to do after. He's talking about college now but apparently his grades aren't good enough (I haven't seen them just heard). I don't know if he would ellect to go to a trade school if he can't get into college or just go straight into the work force. Either way when we move from his town we would have a place for him to come with us back to our state if he wanted to.
  • kimmycupkimmycup member
    edited September 2014
    I'm so sorry. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm so sorry. Thinking of your uncle and family.
  • I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this.  No matter what the outcome is, you are offering amazing support to your family and I think you are so courageous and caring! 
  • Sorry to hear this news, hoping for the best and lots of support for everyone whichever path this takes.

And yeah, your a sweetheart and your cousin is lucky to have you in his corner
  • So sorry to hear. I don't have any additional advice for you, but just wanted to let you know I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
  • Well I talked to my mom and told her to keep our offer to herself until he started to make plans as nothing is in writing yet about her being the beneficiary. Well he called her this morning and told her he made an appointment with a lawyer so she relayed our offer and that she doesn't think her and my dad are right to raise him. He wants to make us his guardians. Nothing is deciced specficially yet but he is extremely relieved and said we have taken alot of stuff off his mind by being willing to move for my cousin.

My mom said he wants everything decided now because with my Aunt (cousins mom) she was all there one day and the next she couldn't speak or relay her wishes. Luckily she already had the legal part done and there was no confusion. He doesn't want to wait and risk things being undecided for my cousin.

Thank you all for your support and kindness. I will keep everyone updated on his condition and pray that none of this is neccessary!

It sounds like your uncle knows what he's doing but just want to make sure you're clear on the fact that he needs a will and a trust, just a will and this could be messy.
  • cagoldi said:

Well I talked to my mom and told her to keep our offer to herself until he started to make plans as nothing is in writing yet about her being the beneficiary. Well he called her this morning and told her he made an appointment with a lawyer so she relayed our offer and that she doesn't think her and my dad are right to raise him. He wants to make us his guardians. Nothing is deciced specficially yet but he is extremely relieved and said we have taken alot of stuff off his mind by being willing to move for my cousin.

My mom said he wants everything decided now because with my Aunt (cousins mom) she was all there one day and the next she couldn't speak or relay her wishes. Luckily she already had the legal part done and there was no confusion. He doesn't want to wait and risk things being undecided for my cousin.

Thank you all for your support and kindness. I will keep everyone updated on his condition and pray that none of this is neccessary!

It sounds like your uncle knows what he's doing but just want to make sure you're clear on the fact that he needs a will and a trust, just a will and this could be messy.
    I don't know squat about what he needs for all the legal stuff. Hopefully his lawyer will inform him of all of that. If not I'll mention it. Thank you!

• @PeachsMama His lawyer should, yes. Sometimes people don't recognize the need and don't want the extra cost but it's absolutely necessary.
  • cagoldi said:

@PeachsMama His lawyer should, yes. Sometimes people don't recognize the need and don't want the extra cost but it's absolutely necessary.

Okay. I'm not sure what they did when my aunt died. I know he's got a large savings because he's saved most of the money he gets from the government/her life insurance for my cousin. Only uses it when needed. He wanted him to have a good college fund.
  • To go off from what @cagoldi‌ said, he will also need an executor of his estate. And I know my lawyer recommended that the person that would be dealing with my money should I pass and the person that would get guardianship of T should not be the same person.
  • TJHine said:

To go off from what @cagoldi‌ said, he will also need an executor of his estate. And I know my lawyer recommended that the person that would be dealing with my money should I pass and the person that would get guardianship of T should not be the same person.

I imagine he'll make my mom the executor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"