Breastfeeding

Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump - Used?

My closest and dearest friend just offered to give me a Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump. She said she only used it a week and I can buy new parts for it. My question for you experts is two-fold. One - is this an ok model to get used? Two - what do I need to buy as far as new parts and sanitizing goes?

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump - Used?

• NCCountryGirlNCCountryGirl member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks!! I have know this girl 20+ years and feel confident in her health history. I did mention to her that my insurance covers one and I couldn't get it until the baby gets here. She said I was still welcome to it either way. Just trying to figure out what the best thing to do it. I appreciate it!

ETA it won't let me tag like I want..

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • my sister-in-law gave me her PISA- she only used it a couple of times (this was pre-ACA breast pump coverage requirements, so i would have had to pay out of pocket for a breast pump). i wiped everything down (the faceplate should come off so you can wipe inside), and boiled all the hard plastic parts to disinfect them. agree that you should get new membranes (the white stretchy pieces that go inside the valves) and new tubing. you can buy them on amazon. 

you might want to see what your insurance company offers. they may only cover a lesser pump and want you to pay the difference to upgrade, for instance. in that case, you might want to take your friend up on her offer. if they will give you a new PISA or a comparable double-electric for free, i'd just get the new one.
  • Loading the player...
  • my insurance said the same thing but I went ahead and talked the the provider.  They said you can order it ahead of time and they would ship it within 30 of my due date.... call provider ;) the only thing you will need are: breast shields, flanges, connectors, and membranes.  If she has the bottles that's great but my dr. brown bottles fit the flanges :)  I ordered a second set of parts from wal-mart to have at work I want to say it was all less than $30... i would order tubing too you can get it from good ole wally world as well ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"