Stay at Home Moms

UPDATE - WDYT re:DH

ASullivan1231ASullivan1231 member
edited September 2014 in Stay at Home Moms
Hi - I haven't posted much lately, but I've been reading here and there.  I have an issue that I'd rather not discuss right now with people IRL.  I'd love to know your thoughts.

DH has a co-worker who has become a good friend.  She is 30, cute and single.  DH has had several female friends over the years, and it's never bothered me. The other female friends and I have always become friendly and I was never jealous of their relationship with DH.

Something is different to me about this new girl.  She and DH are in a running club together after work.  They seem to talk very often throughout the day and they text each other at night.  Nothing is secretive; DH leaves his phone out and seems to tell me whatever he and this co-worker talk about. A few months ago I brought up my concerns to DH and he looked so surprised I even felt that way.  He told me he thinks of her the same as any of the other female friends.  

I guess the big difference for me is I don't know this girl.  We invited her over once to hang out and she declined (she had to get her car fixed). She came over to our house with the rest of DH's team and didn't say hello to me (I tried to make eye contact, I'm sure I could have done more, but I found her stand off-ish, DH said she is "shy")

I don't think they are having an affair.  I'm just very uncomfortable with DH being tight with a woman I don't know.  I brought it up again on Sunday because it's been bothering me.  He again assured me there is nothing for me to worry about.  I believe him, but bringing up my concerns hasn't changed the relationship.  He continues to bring her up almost daily in our conversations and they still text at night.  Last night they went with a group to a boot camp class.

What do you think?  Am I overreacting?  Is there anything I can do? Tell me the honest truth, I need to hear it.  

UPDATE:
I spoke with DH last night about my concerns.  I guess I wasn't clear or he is dense (he's dense), but he didn't realize how uncomfortable I felt with the friendship.  I told him I trust him, but I don't trust her.  I don't know her at all, and the times I have seen her she hasn't been friendly.  He agreed she comes off as bitchy.  I told him I don't believe it's been physical, but I think the relationship is inappropriate.  He was shocked when I even mentioned physical.  He was open,  he listened and understood how I was feeling and emphasized that he sees her as nothing more than a friend.

Next week DH and I are going to the boot camp class together, so if she's there, I'll have to a chance to see what's up.  I also said I'd be willing to get to know her more.  We're going to try to make some plans.  He really feels that if I get to know her, we will be friends too.  Do I think he's naive?  Yes.  I also know he's never steered me wrong in the past, so I'm willing to meet up and check this hussy out ;).  (I'm kidding about hussy, I was actually feeling bad last night about the name calling)

Even so, I asked that he stop texting, and just say he's been busy if she asks about it.  He agreed.  We actually both agreed to put down our phones more at night and talk to each other, do more together.  For now, they will only meet up in the running club.  I had already set the "rule" that it has to be a group thing, not just the two of them.  He had already agreed with that.

I'm not that excited to meet her, but I'm willing to try it.  If I think she's the worst after I hang out with her, I'll let DH know.  Hopefully, she'll turn out to be cool, like DH says.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all the advice yesterday!  It was a HUGE help.

Re: UPDATE - WDYT re:DH

• I'm stuck in the box.  You're right though.  I've just got it in my head that I hate her.  I would have ZERO problem if it were a guy.  Is it different to have a friend of the opposite sex when married?  I guess part of my stress is she is single and pretty attractive.  I'm feeling very insecure.
    It sounds like you feel you need to get to know her better.  With that said, I would ask your H to invite her over or set up time for you all to go out.  

You need to ask yourself if you would feel the need to meet her if she was a him.  Would you really be concerned if your H was texting a male buddy this much?

• Loading the player...
  • vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited September 2014
    Honestly, it would bother me too.  Even if your DH has no intentions with her, who knows if she has intentions with him.  IMO - guys really can't be friends with girls because someone always gets feelings for the other person.  Not saying that's what's happening with you, but that has been my experience with male friends, unless they are gay of course ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I'd be uncomfortable.  I'd expect my dh to take my concerns seriously and try to find a way for him to set some boundaries so that you'd feel more comfortable.

I keep getting stuck in the box.  

Is it reasonable to ask him to stop texting her at night?  That's the part that really takes me go from a "side eye" to straight out uncomfortable.  I have never had to ask him not to do anything like this.  He's always been an outstanding guy.
  • Can someone walk me through what they'd say to their DH if in this situation?  

Based everyone saying that you, too, would be uncomfortable, I'm going to talk with him tonight.  I'd like to ask the texting stop and ask him to keep a little more distance from her.  

• It would bother me. I've felt this way with DH before, and I wonder if your DH is like mine...

My DH is completely oblivious to when a woman is flirting with/interested in him. He'll tell me about a woman at the store asking him for advice on what kind of steaks to buy or a woman at work (he's a truck driver) talking to him about his route, does he like his job, etc. Nine times out of ten, I know they were chatting him up because they were interested. He's all "what? No! It wasn't like that". I trust him, I just think he's dense as hell.

I'll be honest: I think this girl is interested in your DH. If I was single, I would find it inappropriate to be friends with a married man in that sense (hanging out, texting at night) without meeting and being friends with his wife. Maybe your DH doesn't realize she's interested because he's not? Either way, I'd tell him you want to hang out with her, too. I'd also voice your concerns to him again. If his friendship with her is that important, he'll want to include you, too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • It would bother me too.  I trust my husband, I don't trust all other women.

If that makes sense.  You know he is faithful, you don't know her intentions.

And the face that she was in your home and didn't make eye contact.  She's an adult.  Shy or not.  She clearly has no manners.  

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • It would bother me. I've felt this way with DH before, and I wonder if your DH is like mine... My DH is completely oblivious to when a woman is flirting with/interested in him. He'll tell me about a woman at the store asking him for advice on what kind of steaks to buy or a woman at work (he's a truck driver) talking to him about his route, does he like his job, etc. Nine times out of ten, I know they were chatting him up because they were interested. He's all "what? No! It wasn't like that". I trust him, I just think he's dense as hell. I'll be honest: I think this girl is interested in your DH. If I was single, I would find it inappropriate to be friends with a married man in that sense (hanging out, texting at night) without meeting and being friends with his wife. Maybe your DH doesn't realize she's interested because he's not? Either way, I'd tell him you want to hang out with her, too. I'd also voice your concerns to him again. If his friendship with her is that important, he'll want to include you, too.

Fuck this box.

Yes ... we've had other situations where DH has no idea a woman was interested in him.  I believe he's totally unaware.  It's her I don't trust.  

In the few cases I've made friends with a guy at work (when I worked), I always went out of my way to be extra nice to their girlfriend or wife, so they are comfortable.
  • Nope would not happen in our house. That would mark me very very uncomfortable. I would expect DH to do anything I asked, the texting at night would stop. Honestly it doesn't some good.
  • I'd be uncomfortable too. Even more so because you don't know her and she has declined attempts for you to get to know her. I would also ask that the night time texting stop and make it clear that you're uncomfortable and why.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • texting her at night? oh helllllll no.

I would just make it very clear that you are super uncomfortable and ask how he would feel if the role was reversed-- if you had a male friend that you texted a lot,  worked with, and worked out with--  I mean it sounds like he spends more time with her that you and your LO.

Something is fishy. Whether her intentions or him not telling you everything.

Based everyone saying that you, too, would be uncomfortable, I'm going to talk with him tonight.  I'd like to ask the texting stop and ask him to keep a little more distance from her.  

I would just tell him that you'd like to meet her once and for all. He should be fine with that if there is nothing going on. I agree with what Amy said too.

I would just tell him that you'd like to meet her once and for all. He should be fine with that if there is nothing going on. I agree with what Amy said too.
    He'll be fine getting us together.  He's brought it up a bunch of times.  Just based on her passed actions I don't like her and don't really want to know her.  He insists we'd get along great.  I think I'll suck it up and try to get to know her, but I'm also going to talk to him about stopping the texting at night.

He's a very stand up guy and I'm very out spoken with my opinions.  This is just new ground for us.  I trust him, but the situation feels unsafe for our relationship.
  • amy052006 said:
    The fact he leaves his phone just around and wants you to meet her means -- to me an outsider -- that he is really just clueless.  I mean, it doesn't sound like is he in anyway being sneaky and I seriously see no red flags.

Except she is a skank.  But seriously, at 38 with two rugrats DH would likely never even consider he could be the object of a young skank's affections and would be clueless.

I'd totally meet her, watch her flirt and/or squirm, and then point out her skankiness.
    I love this response so much @amy052006  - thanks for making me LOL.  I think I'll bring up tonight us all getting together, and then I can watch her and give my opinion to DH ;)

I'm still bringing up the texting tonight, bc I don't trust her.
  • What are they texting so much about? My DH sends texts to his guy friends about sports and that's about it. I'd be annoyed by your situation too. Hopefully he will limit his time to running club. For record, my DH wouldn't want me texting a guy all the time either.
  • I didn't mean to insinuate he wouldn't be fine. He sounds like he is a good guy. She sounds like an ass.
    Can someone walk me through what they'd say to their DH if in this situation?  

He'll be fine getting us together.  He's brought it up a bunch of times.  Just based on her passed actions I don't like her and don't really want to know her.  He insists we'd get along great.  I think I'll suck it up and try to get to know her, but I'm also going to talk to him about stopping the texting at night.

He's a very stand up guy and I'm very out spoken with my opinions.  This is just new ground for us.  I trust him, but the situation feels unsafe for our relationship.

• I didn't think you did @notkateanymore - You and Amy are bluntly honest and I need that in this situation.  I really appreciate your advice. :)  
  • "DH this makes me uncomfortable. I feel its a dangerous line to tread for our relationship. I know you think nothing of it, but I have no idea of her intentions...so it would REALLY help me feel a lot better if: 1. We met (and ya know...made eye contact and talked) 2. Stop texting at night 3. No other extracurriculars outside of work (besides running club--unless you want that to end too)."
    I will be using this word for word - thanks @sing4mysavior - I'm not going to ask him to stop running club bc it makes him so happy.  It is never just the 2 of them either - always at least 3 or more.
  • amy052006 said:
    I'm LOLing in my head because I bet the other women your DH works with all realize she is a skank and laugh at her.
    Funny you say this bc I'm friends with a couple women he works with and I've wondered what they think of her.  Based on stories DH has told me, she always "finds herself" in situations where, "OMG, I had NO IDEA this guy liked me."  I call bullshit to DH whenever I've heard these stories.  Girlfriend knows exactly what she's doing.
  • As far as what to say:
    1) Friendly route-  Tell him you want to meet her.  If she wants to be such good buddies with your H you want a chance to get to know her better.
    2) Empathy- Ask him how he would feel if the situation was reverse.  Would he feel comfortable with you texting another man that frequently?
    3) Jealous/Rage- Demand he stop speaking to her, quit the running club, hell, quit his job :)  I don't recommend this.
    4) Be straight- lay out the facts (running club, texting all the time), tell him how it makes you feel and then PAUSE.  Say nothing.  See what he says.  

My guess is your H is a typical guy- Clueless.  I have watched women flirt with H and he was so convinced they were just friendly.  I'm not sure what the 30 year old single hussy's intentions are but my guess is nothing good.  

What do they have to text about so much anyways?  When H is texting a lot it's to his boss or his fantasy football friends.  Everyone else gets a 2 word answer and/or ignored.  
    Thank you for all of this!  I'll be doing a combo of 1, 2 and 4 (although in my head I'm doing a little bit of 3)

They text about running, exercise - honestly I don't know what else. I've tried to be cool about the whole thing, so I haven't asked a million questions, but I'm not ok with it at all. 
  • amy052006 said:
    amy052006 said:
    I'm LOLing in my head because I bet the other women your DH works with all realize she is a skank and laugh at her.
    Funny you say this bc I'm friends with a couple women he works with and I've wondered what they think of her.  Based on stories DH has told me, she always "finds herself" in situations where, "OMG, I had NO IDEA this guy liked me."  I call bullshit to DH whenever I've heard these stories.  Girlfriend knows exactly what she's doing.
    $50 says she cliams to have no female friends because girls are catty.
    oh abso-fuckin-lutely ... 
  • Nothing to add but what.a.whore
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Call me jealous, possesive, crazy or whatever but there is no way I would be comfortable with any of this. He spends work hours with this women and then spends more time with her after work hours. He also is texting her alot when they are apart. Yeah no. Do I think something shady is going on? No, probably not. With that said I would be more uncomfortable with the fact he SEEMS to be putting more into this new relationship than his with you.
  • mmandm603 said:
    I think this needs to be approached with caution. I've had past relationships where my boyfriend had female friends who made me uncomfortable and I've asked them to back off that friendship a little. It then backfired and some of the women have found fun in the fact that I was uncomfortable and then tried extra hard to take my discomfort to the next level. If your DH is oblivious and she asks why the sudden decrease in evening texting he might say something without realizing ( or she would just figure it out without him saying anything) it that lead her to become aware she is a threat to you making the situation worse and her to begin trying harder.
    This is along the lines with what I was thinking as well.  If she is really into him a sudden decrease in contact with him may cause her to come on stronger (either because of what pp stated or to try not to lose her "hold" on him).  I agree with the others that it sounds like your husband is unware, but just be aware that a talk with your DH tonight may not be the end of it. 
  • Thanks guys - I'm going to talk to him tonight.  I really appreciate all your advice. It's nice to confirm I'm not crazy :).  I'll update tonight or in the morning.
  • Gastro said:

fancefpp said:

I don't think he needs to tell the skank it about his wife at all. Just that he's too busy to text because he's with his family.

Yup and when he backs away from the woman or doesn't respond make sure he doesn't say it's because my wife feels uncomfortable. Make sure he leaves you totally out of it!

Definitely, she has to know it's his choice, not his wife telling him to end their friendship. She'd probably love it if she thought she made someone's wife jealous. That would drive me nuts!
  • Gastro said:
    I don't think he needs to tell the skank it about his wife at all. Just that he's too busy to text because he's with his family.
    Yup and when he backs away from the woman or doesn't respond make sure he doesn't say it's because my wife feels uncomfortable. Make sure he leaves you totally out of it!
    Oh 100% agreed.  I don't think DH would throw me under the bus, but just in case, I'll be making that point clear.
  • mmandm603 said:
    I think this needs to be approached with caution. I've had past relationships where my boyfriend had female friends who made me uncomfortable and I've asked them to back off that friendship a little. It then backfired and some of the women have found fun in the fact that I was uncomfortable and then tried extra hard to take my discomfort to the next level. If your DH is oblivious and she asks why the sudden decrease in evening texting he might say something without realizing ( or she would just figure it out without him saying anything) it that lead her to become aware she is a threat to you making the situation worse and her to begin trying harder.
    Sounds like your husband was an ass and told them that you said something. DH problem, not women problem.
  • Here is my opinion which probably won't be popular. You are married. That's a covenant that involves you and him. It is not appropriate for either of you to have close friendships of the opposite sex and spend time alone with someone of the opposite sex on a regular basis. Things happen good intentions or not. And even if they don't it can look like they do and a reputation is a difficult thing to rebuild. Either your DH is lying ( hope not) or he is truly naive. And even if he is the fact that you are concerned means no matter his feeling he needs to put you first and see this woman professionally only.
    Because you can't be friends with people of the opposite sex without boning them?

As long as both people in the marriage are being open, honest, and making sure that said relationship doesn't move past friendship then does it really matter?
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Sort of. The young woman turned out to have a crush on Bridget not Mark. And yeah, texting at night is total BS.
  • Glad you both talked and he knows how you feel.
  • Glad to hear the conversation went smoothly and you guys have a plan :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like you have a great guy. Glad your talk went well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"