Natural Birth

Looking for information (books/media/journals,etc) on what procedures are commonly done at hospitals

I have a very limited understanding, but I would like to explore and expand my knowledge on what sort of procedures are commonly done at hospitals when giving birth as well as what is given to baby. For example, I have heard of the eyedrops given to baby after they are born in case of STD's which don't particularly seem necessary in my perspective. Are there any other procedures that I should consider visiting and educating myself on their purpose and whether or not they are necessary? Or perhaps are there any educational materials you might recommend I check out? I do not mean in terms of medical intervention, but other procedures not often mentioned. Thank you!

Re: Looking for information (books/media/journals,etc) on what procedures are commonly done at hospitals

• I don't have book names off the top of my head but here are some of the procedures that I'd look into:

PreBirth/Birth:
    Sweeping membranes
    Induction-pitocin/cytotec/cervidil
    AROM-breaking water
    Vaginal checks after water breaks
    Continuous fetal monitoring
    Heplock
    Episiotomy/Forceps/vacuum
    Confined to bed/pushing on back
    No eating/drinking

Baby:
    Immediate clamping of cord
    Pitocin for delivery of placenta
    Vit K
    Erythromycin
    Heel prick
    Hearing test
    Immediate "cleaning" of vernix
    Immediate measuring/weighing/wrapping preventing skin-to-skin/bonding time
    Taking baby to nursery for procedures vs. In room

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but I'm sure others can help fill in. These are not all standard procedures at ALL hospitals, they can all differ. And these are not all "bad" things just things to be educated about. Hope this helps a little.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you! This absolutely helps as a guide for research!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have book names off the top of my head but here are some of the procedures that I'd look into: PreBirth/Birth: Sweeping membranes Induction-pitocin/cytotec/cervidil AROM-breaking water Vaginal checks after water breaks Continuous fetal monitoring Heplock Episiotomy/Forceps/vacuum Confined to bed/pushing on back No eating/drinking Baby: Immediate clamping of cord Pitocin for delivery of placenta Vit K Erythromycin Heel prick Hearing test Immediate "cleaning" of vernix Immediate measuring/weighing/wrapping preventing skin-to-skin/bonding time Taking baby to nursery for procedures vs. In room I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but I'm sure others can help fill in. These are not all standard procedures at ALL hospitals, they can all differ. And these are not all "bad" things just things to be educated about. Hope this helps a little.
    I agree with others - it really depends upon your hospital, but I would say this list above is really great to use to ask your provider about what their policies typically are.  Many hospitals have already moved away from a lot of these previously "standard" procedures (thankfully my hospital has).

Here's what I would add to the list:
    - Putting you on a "time limit" either after your water breaks or after you arrive at the hospital
    - Antibiotic eye ointment immediately after birth
    - Giving the baby sugar water
    - Giving the baby a pacifier
    - Hepatitis shot for the baby after birth

• I agree with @smeame14- definitely talk with your provider as s/he will be administering some things and it helps to discuss when certain practices are used and how to opt out if you do not want something done.  Most of the hospitals in my area are seeking baby friendly certification so they tend to delay cord clamping, wash baby after skin to skin time, etc by practice.  I believe that the vit k shot, hep shot, and eye goop are sometimes driven by state law/public health policy, but you should be able to opt out of any or all.  I remember the nurse asking us before they were given to our son so we could have opted out. 

Ina May Gaskin covers some of these items in her birth book, too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told my state mandated the eye ointment, but DS never got them.  I was asked and explained my family history to horrible reactions to vaccines and how we'd worked out a "plan" for them with our doctor and that was the last it was discussed.  I didn't know the eye ointment fell under the same category but they weren't given, either.

Also remember you do have some control when you go to the hospital.  I declined an IV when we arrived.  I requested one later when I felt dehydrated but then I had them remove it when I felt better.  I believe it was hospital protocol to get one, but when I said "no" they didn't argue.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• protocol and what you are required to have are definitely two different things.  Many of the things that are protocol in the hospital I delivered at, I was easily able to opt out of. Granted, I wasn't asked before they did each thing whether I wanted it or not.  I had done my research before hand and written out on a birth plan what I did and didn't want.  This made it clear and easy for the nurses/doctor to know what my wishes were.  So, if you do plan on wanting to opt out of certain things that are protocol at your hospital, I highly suggest typing it up.  I recommend making your birth plan no longer than 1 page.  No one is going to be willing to read a novel. 

I honestly don't think a hospital can really force anything on you, regardless of state law.  For example, it is state law that all children in my state get vaccinated to enter school.  However, many don't and just get a specific waiver form signed.  I'm sure the same stands for certain 'state mandated' procedures in a hospital for newborns. 

I opted out of the IV (requested hep lock instead), eye goop, wanted delayed cord clamping, wanted my husband to cut the cord instead of the nurse (my hospital's protocol was for nurse to do it), did not want continuous fetal monitoring, did not want an episiotomy and wanted immediate skin-to-skin.  Although many of these were against standard protocol, there was no problem getting what I requested.  They were very respectful of my wishes.

• Thank you all so much! It is all very helpful. I am 20 weeks now so I have some time to really dig in and research. I will be hiring a doula as well, however not until December. Will they most likely be able to help me better develop a birth plan and also share perspectives on why certain standard protocol are/aren't important/necessary?
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    heltoncl said:
    Thank you all so much! It is all very helpful. I am 20 weeks now so I have some time to really dig in and research. I will be hiring a doula as well, however not until December. Will they most likely be able to help me better develop a birth plan and also share perspectives on why certain standard protocol are/aren't important/necessary?
    You should look for a doula as soon as you can because many get booked up months in advance. Doulas usually only schedule a few clients a month to space out the due dates.

Doulas can help you develop a birth plan to a certain extent but they are not qualified to give medical advice. They can bring up things that you haven't considered or ask you questions to help you figure out what you want. They are not trained to decide which clinical procedures you should or shouldn't consent to. Their role is to provide you emotional support whatever your birth plan is, so it's not appropriate for them to promote their own personal preferences. They can suggest books, etc. for general reference but that's not a substitute for talking to your OB/midwife/pediatrician if you have medical questions.
  • My biggest advice is find a provider who respects your wishes and will care for you as you choose. It's your baby and your birth.

As an OB nurse in a hospital I can tell you... We give each of our patients birth plan forms and they fill them out. We then review them with the patient to make sure we are able to meet all of their needs. There are refusal forms for items you do not want done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"