Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

folic acid and vits

Hi moms to angels x
I am not yet ready to start trying again right now. I need my heart, mind body and soul to be nearly one again before I can deal with another pregnancy. I still feel as though I want to honour my little one we lost, and I want to be ready again. I had gone off the pill when I fell preg straight away. Not sure if the pill had anything to do with my mc but I want to make sure that it is out of my system 100% My gynae reassures me that there was nothing I did or didn't do.I'm still scared to fall preg right now, don't want it to happen again, so I know I am not yet ready right now.

I want to get my body healthy and ready, doc has recommended that I stay on my folic acid and my prenatal vitamins. Is that what you ladies are still doing now until you are ready to try again? I'm going to watch what I eat etc and try and get into more pilates and relaxation exercises, I want to be able to manage my anxiety better-if I feel that way when I try again. X I'm on chela preg, its a prenatal vit from South Africa and then folic acid tabs. Is there anything I should be taking extra? Any advice is appreciated xxx

hugs to you ladies xxx

Re: folic acid and vits

• Anyone of childbearing age should be taking prenatals with folic acid. No need to take extra of anything unless you have a diagnosed deficiency. 

I hope you're able to find some healing soon.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Thanks Hun xxx I am slowly healing x spending quality time with my hubby and have been kept busy at work. X I am a teacher and we break up for a week holiday tomorrow. Will be good to do the things I need to do/want to do and to just rest. Thanks for the advice. As much as Ive read about pregnancy and studied child dev etc, I felt like I didn't know how to be pregnant. I seriously disliked waiting for doc appointments, waiting to know if all is ok. I like things done in my time. Guess I just have to chill and have paitience. I need to have more faith. Give all my worries over to God. xxxI am seeing a psychologist, I'm not depressed as he says (I know i am not) I'm sad, and by all means i am allowed to be x been good to talk to a complete stranger. See him again next week. Xxx thanks again
  • Loading the player...
  • You're doing the right thing!
  • I've stayed on my prenatal and extra folic acid (although for me it's methyl b12 rather than folic acid) the entire time we've been trying to conceive and/or pregnant as per my doctors recommendations.  Very sorry for your loss.
    BFP:  April 5, 2013 m/c #1 @ 4 weeks
    BFP:  May 1, 2013, twins hbs seen @ 6.5 weeks, mmc #2 @ 8 weeks, D&E July 2, 2013.  
    BFP:  January 10, 2014 m/c #3 @ 5 weeks.
    BFP:  August 11, 2014, 400mg progesterone suppositories started immediately.  HB seen @ 6 weeks. mmc #4 at 7 weeks, D&E September 27, 2014.
    RE Referral:  January 2015. 
  • I was also advised to stay on prenatals.  I stopped for a few days because it made me sad.  However, I feel like my body is going through a lot right now post-D&C and I need to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins to restore myself properly...so even though I don't know when we'll try again, I plan to start the pre-natals again soon.  I also found out a week before my miscarriage that I was borderline anemic (probably from pregnancy).  That explains how run-down I'd been feeling...I think I'll stay on extra iron for a while to build back my levels again.

Me:36, DH:37

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

• Thanks Ladies, I know how you guys feel when you say you didn't take your prenatals for a while, I stopped my prenatals for a week or so too... I was too sad. But I kept on with the folic acid tabs, as to me it was like taking my pill. Just a habit I think, and they aren't in a fancy pregnancy bottle so they didn't seem to sting too much.

I had my follow up with my therapist today. Had a good session, but the tears still flow. feel that talking to a psychologist is really helping.On top of my grief, and possibly heightened due to it, I seem to get angry ,emotional and frustrated at silly things and like to get it all off my chest. Don't like to bottle up stuff or my body will start to stress internally.

I was on the pill, then fell preg straight after we stopped it to try for a baby. I am sure it is the fact that I am off the pill and that I have had pregnancy hormones in my body and the stress of my loss, that my skin feels terrible. Going for a facial tomorrow to try clear up my skin. I know my body has been through a lot. We cannot underestimate what our bodies deal with, going through pregnancy and then the loss too. I also dont know when we will be ready to try again, possibly in a few months and after a few cycles. I am still waiting for my post mc cycle to come. This coming Sunday will be 4 weeks if it still isn't here by Sunday.

Thank you ladies, I truly appreciate your support and advice.

One last q, do you guys recommend I take my prenatals (they do have folic acid in and I take them daily) and on top of that take a folic acid supplement? I can take both. Is there something as too much folic acid?

Love and prayers to you all. Sorry that you all also lost your precious ones x thinking of you ladies x
  • The recommended dose is around 1000mg of folic acid so depending on how much your supplement is and how much your prenantal is just make sure it stays around the number.  Some prenatals only have 400-800mg on their own.  Unless you doctor has prescribed you a higher dose for some reason?  There are alot of other good vitamins in a prenatal like higher iron amounts and things.
    BFP:  April 5, 2013 m/c #1 @ 4 weeks
    BFP:  May 1, 2013, twins hbs seen @ 6.5 weeks, mmc #2 @ 8 weeks, D&E July 2, 2013.  
    BFP:  January 10, 2014 m/c #3 @ 5 weeks.
    BFP:  August 11, 2014, 400mg progesterone suppositories started immediately.  HB seen @ 6 weeks. mmc #4 at 7 weeks, D&E September 27, 2014.
    RE Referral:  January 2015. 
  • KristinNP said:

The recommended dose is around 1000mg of folic acid so depending on how much your supplement is and how much your prenantal is just make sure it stays around the number.  Some prenatals only have 400-800mg on their own.  Unless you doctor has prescribed you a higher dose for some reason?  There are alot of other good vitamins in a prenatal like higher iron amounts and things.

The recommended dose is 1000 mcg (1 mg). Many prenatals have 800 mcg.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"