Pregnant after 35

Confession: Feeling "meh" this time around

DH and I were TTC and didn't have any problems. We were happy to get our BFP. But ever since then, I've had a hard time getting excited about it. I had my 12-wk check today and felt pretty indifferent about hearing the heartbeat for the first time. We have our ultrasound on Friday and I hope I can get excited about the whole thing then.

To be honest, I think this is because the other odds & ends going on in life are keeping us so preoccupied that we've barely had time to think about this pregnancy. When I do think about it, it is usually with my head over a toilet and they aren't happy thoughts. (Who has happy thoughts with a head over a toilet anyway?) I know we'll love this child just as much as DS#1, but right now, meh. That is all.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Re: Confession: Feeling "meh" this time around

• I think this kind of comment comes up here at least once a week, you'll see if you scroll down... Chin up! It takes 9 months to cook up a baby and you'll warm up in the process! :)
  • Thanks @harmonicbabe26. I haven't seen this one circulating recently, but I believe you when you say it goes around! I hear it is common for 2nd time moms and 3rd, 4th, etc. DH and I were already shopping for baby stuff by this point last time. I feel guilty for not being excited! I know I will be, eventually.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • It is normal to have those feelings. In fact-- some women feel completely disconnected until they give birth. For me? I get a "bond" feeling when I see the baby on the ultrasound. Until that happens (which isn't until 8.5 weeks), I am very happy I am pregnant, but also have days of "meh". 

But-- I think about all the women out there who can't have children or have difficulty getting pregnant, and it really makes me appreciate it all much more. 
  • I wasn't meh, but I was scared to get attached due to losses. Like why get attached! After seeing wiggling and harmony I let myself bond some...
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • You do have a lot going on in your life right now.  And don't forget, hormones play all kinds of mind games.  Hopefully, the hormones will work for you once your LO arrives.

I get pretty excited about the milestones as a FTM.  But there are days where I'm teary, can only eat carbs, and can't peel myself off the couch, where I wonder if I could do this again.

Hang in there and post as often as you like about this.  We're here to listen.
  • I wasn't meh, but I was scared to get attached due to losses. Like why get attached! After seeing wiggling and harmony I let myself bond some...

This is me as well. I have my first ultra sound next Tuesday and I'm nervous. I haven't even heard the heart beat yet and I'm 11 weeks today.
  • I was scared to get excited until after my NT scan and Harmony results. I'm still a little nervous but I'm getting closer and closer every day. I don't know when, if ever, I'll let myself get completely relaxed.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• I'm a FTM, and I can kind of empathize.  When I saw and heard it for the first time at 8 weeks, I cried, but I've still been quite reserved - even at the 12 week scan.  I think I've just kind of tried to keep perspective and take things as they come in case there were any issues...and keeping the faith that as things get closer, it will happen, and it will be okay.  

Hang in there!!
  • We've had 2 prior losses, and I think those contribute to my hesitancy to get attached. We have our first ultrasound tomorrow. This will also be my first appt where DH can come too.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• It sounds completely normal to me. I am quite early (7w) and on the one hand hesitant to get attached because I know it's a risky period, and on the other just in the process of coming to terms with just what I've (we've) signed up for, the good and the bad.'

I hope your U/S yesterday went swimmingly! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"