TTC after 35

ovulation tests, question **signature warning

This is the first month that I have taken Clomid and used ovulation tests.  Is there a best time during the day to use ovulation tests?  I have been using them in the morning and so far they've all been negative.  I'm on day 13 of my cycle and according to my obgyn I should ovulate day 14 or 15 while on Clomid.  So, based on my doc, I should be ovulating tomorrow or Friday, but I haven't had a positive on my opk yet.  Thoughts?  I apologize to everyone, I'm new to Clomid and ovulation tests and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.  Thanks.
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ovulation tests, question **signature warning

• I will first answer your OPK question. Test late morning, early afternoon and early evening if possible. You can surge at any point in the day.
    As far as clomid, that is a whole other can of worms. Just saying OB and clomid in the same sentence raises the hair in the back of my neck.
    Do a bump search about clomid and just read.
    I wish you well.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• As @hooligans4 said, OBs and fertility meds just don't really mix that well.  

First of all, when did you ovulate prior to taking Clomid?  When I took Clomid, I ovulated on the EXACT day that I did before I took Clomid (day 20).  OBs tend to think everyone has a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14, but that is just NOT the case.  

Second, Clomid is a powerful fertility medication.  The risks of cysts and higher order multiples are very real.  If you aren't being monitored with ultrasound on Clomid, you have no idea what's going on in there.  

Third, have you had a HSG for you and a SA for your husband?  If you haven't had a HSG test, you could have blocked tubes and Clomid won't help at all.  Basically, you're wasting Clomid opportunities (which are limited in a lifetime - usually to 6). 

I hope I'm not coming across as a know-it-all, preachy crab, but I just want you to know, you're best bet is to see a RE if you're over 35 and have been trying for 6 months.  They're the experts and are your best bet to get pregnant. 

I'm a Clomid success story (well, I guess my daughter is).  It can work very well with the correct pre-testing and monitoring during the cycle!  Best of luck.  If you have ANY other questions about Clomid, please let me know.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with pp, it's good to test more than once a day, and yes also good to read up on the reasons for having cycles monitored while on clomid or seeing an RE to get evaluated. OB's, while great, sometimes have a reputation of taking a bandaid approach with the clomid prescription and not investigating if there are bigger issues - which can lead to wasted time and further problems. I'm not one to lecture anyone, just that I've ben there myself so agree that it's worth reading into.

Just a tip if you ever need to buy more opk's check out the wondfro kind on Amazon, saves a few dollars.  (but fingers crossed that it works for you this month and you won't need to buy anymore)

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• I am working with my obgyn and taking Clomid at this time.  I have not had other tests because I recently had my second miscarriage.  So, my tubes aren't blocked and my husband's sperm is okay.  My obgyn has me on Clomid because we haven't conceived since my miscarriage and my age is 37.  So, he is trying to help me get pregnant faster because of my AMA.  I will talk with him about these issues though and I appreciate the tips.  Maybe my tubes did become blocked after my miscarriage or there are other issues going on.  I'm a newbie, so all the tips are appreciated.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"