January 2013 Moms

crying - passing out

Does anyone else's LO cry so hard they make themselves pass out? 

I think the first time DD did this was when she was about 7-8 months old, she fell from standing up and it didn't seem too bad but she went to cry and instead passed out. She does it every once and a while now over seemingly nothing. Today I went to put her in her stroller to take our dog on a walk and immediately she started crying, her lips turn purple and I pulled her up from the stroller and she passed out for about 8-10 seconds on my shoulder. 

I've read that it isn't really a big deal and they usually grow out of it pretty quickly but man it's spooky! She'll cry over real falls no big deal but it's almost always something so small that she'll get herself so worked up that she won't breathe and passes out. 

Just wondering if there are any other LOs here that do the same thing. 

Re: crying - passing out

• I have never seen this in real life, but have read about it. It is supposed to be part of tantrums. It really does seem scary though!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• My DH did this!  I guess his parents had to warn his babysitters when he was little because he would do it whenever they would leave the house!  It is not supposed to be harmful and they outgrow it but if you can know it is coming just make sure they aren't going to fall and hurt themselves.  DH still gets crap from his family about it. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our neighbor's little girl does this. It's scary but no serious harm for her.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wow, I hadn't heard of this. Is it from hyperventilating? That would be seriously disturbing if you weren't prepared for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's like hyperventilating. I can tell immediately whether it's a normal cry or one that might make her pass out but I never know what triggers the difference. Sometimes if I rub/tap on her back a little she'll stop before she actually goes out and is fine. 
  • My SIL had a student that did this.  She's a special ed teacher, and his was actually an issue with his brain developing differently (sort of like "wires were crossed"), so he couldn't grow out of it, but I have heard of toddlers doing it as part of the "tantrum phase."  We were just discussing it in our parent breakout session during DS's preschool class.  One of the parents said they're kid had done it a couple times.  
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • I don't have any experience with this but I hope it's a phase that doesn't last too long. That sounds so scary :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS sometimes cries so fiercely that he turns blue. It's freaking scary. I wouldn't be surprised if he fainted one of those times. I hope your DD's phase passes quickly!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• DS sometimes cries so fiercely that he turns blue. It's freaking scary. I wouldn't be surprised if he fainted one of those times. I hope your DD's phase passes quickly!
    DD cries until her lips are purple at least twice a month. She's only actually passed out like 3 times though.
  • I agree with PP. If you didn't know what was going on, that would be so scary! Fingers crossed that she'll grow out of it soon.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"