January 2014 Moms
Options

Helmet mommas - opinion on our results?

So we're one week out from what is presumably our last scan and I'm disappointed. We've long suspected that his helmet just didn't sit quite right, seeming to be just off center all the time, but we were assured at every appointment that all was good. 5 weeks ago we had a scan that showed impressive improvement, though I silently questioned the results since the printout didn't seem to be a match to what I was seeing.

I had DH take some update photos and it's clear that his headed has rounded beautifully, but off center, just as the helmet sits. I know it will probably continue to improve on its own, just curious if it looks obvious/bad to everyone else? Debating if we should throw in the towel and be happy with the rounding, or push to see if we can fix the symmetry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: Helmet mommas - opinion on our results?

• Options
    Looking at that pic upsets me. Why didn't we insist that it wasn't sitting straight?!? I knew it, but I kept telling myself it was just shifting and it was fine :(

• Options
    @danaadell‌ thanks. I hope it's not obvious to others and I know there a good chance I'm being overly critical. I had to draw lines on the pic for DH, across the forehead and the straight back from center of nose, but then he tends to not be super observant so I was just getting annoyed with him, Lol.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    blue_elleblue_elle member
    edited September 2014
    @danaadell‌ Here's the pic with my lines added. They aren't exact, but with his cheeks lined up and drawing a line from center of nose back, you can see the bulk is to the left side. If I rotate it, it's a little easier to see where the the apex of the roundness is, what you would assume to be the center of the back is off to the side and in hindsight exactly matches how the helmet has been sitting.

• Options
    While it is slightly noticeable...can you tell from looking at him from the front? I guess I'd be more concerned if I was looking at him face to face and could see a difference in size from one side to the other.

• Options
    @mommy grams‌ I do not see any asymmetry in his face except for maybe a very mild lazy eye, which both DH and I have if you stare hard enough or catch a pic at the right angle. Our heads are probably crooked too.

I had a hard time finding a pic that he was (1) sans helmet (2) looking directly at the camera (3) not making a ridiculous face
    :))

• Options
    @blue_elle‌ First off, he is absolutely adorable.

From the front I see no asymmetry. From the top I do see how it rounded off center. His head did round beautifully.

I think before I could personally make this decision I would need to know if they would be using the same helmet to round it correctly or make a new helmet that sits correctly on his head. Did he have the same person doing scans every time or did he have a different person every time? Maybe see if there is someone else in the clinic you can talk to and get a second opinion.
  • Options
    He is so freaking cute!!!
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Options

Oh wow he is adorable!!

• Options
    Aw, thanks ladies. We're quite fond of that little face. You know that pic with the otter holding up the baby otter that says "I made dis", that's how I feel, lol

@SandFHasse‌ we saw two different techs. We switched from the first because she had a poor bedside manner. The guy we switched to was very personable and great about explaining things. If it required a second helmet there no way we could continue. Insurance didn't cover anything and we just can't afford it.

@tarajeannette‌ that's the big question isn't it? Will this get better on its own??? It's one we agonized over making the decision to do this, but we decided not to take the chance. His head looks much, much better so in its current state we're more comfortable just calling it done.

DH and I talked about it again now that he's not frustrating me, and he reminded me that all they can do is put a void where he needs growth. They can't move what's already there, so since his head was already off center in the back, all they could do was try for growth on the right and restrict the left. I feel better about it today, though still disappointed to realize we should have pushed more on the rotating.

• Options
    @charmingthemoon‌ I don't think our place has a doctor on staff. Or at least not that's ever been mentioned or that we've seen.

• Options
    @charmingthemoon‌ we were referred to the orthotics center by his regular pediatrician at our request. They are affiliated with the regional children's hospital, but I don't know how much that involves beyond the name. We could seek a second opinion with a different orthotics company in the area, though I suspect that may lead to trying to sell us on another brand helmet.

• Options
    I think your LO's head looks great...yes, its slightly off kilter, but only because you pointed it out and I went looking for it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"