January 2014 Moms

Pregnant and BFing

So I posted a few weeks ago about having a supply problem since going back to work at the end of the summer (teacher.) Well, I was thinking about it last week and had an epiphany; pretty sudden supply drop-off, tired a lot, no period since early August, peeing all the time.....all things you could easily not notice or attribute to something else. But sure enough - got a BFP yesterday! Wow! Kinda shocked but shouldn't be, we removed the goalie for the summer to see what would happen but I didn't really think anything would. I'm way more fertile than I thought I was! Anyway, I'm wondering who else here has continued to BF while pregnant, even through a low supply. Now that I know the cause, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do to boost my supply. So far we seem to be doing okay, I think I'm making just enough to keep DD happy, but only barely. There are times it seems like she's frustrated because she's not getting much and then eventually kind of gives up where I think otherwise she would want more. There is definitely nothing left to pump. I am planning to supplement with formula but am not sure what the longer-term plan should be. My goal was to BF until one year, but now I'm thinking maybe I should give it up earlier. Just wondering what others' experience has been. Thanks ladies!

Re: Pregnant and BFing

• No experience, but congratulations! I've been told that the taste can change, so maybe she's frustrated with that, too? Hope you're able to keep up with it as long as you want. Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • karah4816karah4816 member
    edited September 2014
    I don't have any experience but a friend of mine got pregnant when get daughter was around 4 months and she continued to bf her until her sin was around 1 month. So, it can be done but I'm sure it's really hard

ETA: congratulations!!!!

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I am pregnant and still breastfeeding my 8 month old. I noticed a significant decrease in my supply as well after my BFP. We went through a period of time where I felt like my DS was getting frustrated with the lack of milk so I tried supplementing with formula but my DS won't drink it (we tried several different brands). For us it just got easier with time. DS eats solid food now which really helps because he isn't relying soley on breast milk. Also after the first tri my supply increased.

I still haven't decided when I will stop breastfeeding DS. I'm planning on trying tandem nursing but we will see how that goes.

Anyways I wish you luck! Congrats on your BFP!!!

Ps I hope this makes sense, I just woke up! :P

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Congrats!!! Hope the supply improves (no experience).

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also no advice here but congrats! You gals are really starting to make me want to be pregnant again.
  • No experience as well, but congratulations!
    Met & fell in love in '02 Married in '10
    Our first is in Heaven- we said goodbye in September 2012
  • Congratulations! I was BFing DS1 when I became pregnant with DD.  The supply drop led to weight loss on his part, so we supplemented with donor milk and he continued to BF until a couple of days after his 1st birthday (when I was about 20 weeks pregnant).  I found BFing while pregnant incredibly exhausting and was relieved when he decided to be done with it.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • On the subject....is it true that BFing while pg causes contractions in 3rd tri?? Did I make that up or read it somewhere?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • edited September 2014

So I posted a few weeks ago about having a supply problem since going back to work at the end of the summer (teacher.) Well, I was thinking about it last week and had an epiphany; pretty sudden supply drop-off, tired a lot, no period since early August, peeing all the time.....all things you could easily not notice or attribute to something else. But sure enough - got a BFP yesterday! Wow! Kinda shocked but shouldn't be, we removed the goalie for the summer to see what would happen but I didn't really think anything would. I'm way more fertile than I thought I was! Anyway, I'm wondering who else here has continued to BF while pregnant, even through a low supply. Now that I know the cause, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do to boost my supply. So far we seem to be doing okay, I think I'm making just enough to keep DD happy, but only barely. There are times it seems like she's frustrated because she's not getting much and then eventually kind of gives up where I think otherwise she would want more. There is definitely nothing left to pump. I am planning to supplement with formula but am not sure what the longer-term plan should be. My goal was to BF until one year, but now I'm thinking maybe I should give it up earlier. Just wondering what others' experience has been. Thanks ladies!

Can I ask you when your cycle came back and how many cycles you had? I had 1 cycle at 7 months which is exactly when it came back with my other 2, but now have had nothing, which is not like with my other 2. I took a test but it was negative so I just figured not ovulating after the first cycle back. I too have had a HUGE supply dip but am able to use my freezer stash so I'm not worried about supplementing. After reading this I notice that I'm having to get up in the motn to pee, crap I should take another test shouldn't I?!

My friend has 3 kids all about 15 months apart and she was able to pump/nurse until third tri when she had to stop bc they didn't want it to bring on contractions.

Eta: tag

@laowaigringa‌

• Congrats! No experience, but this topic comes up regularly on the BF'ing board, so you may want to post there also.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• I've read that it can cause contractions but they aren't labor contractions. More like Braxton hicks. Check out the tandem nursing info on kellymom. Should have some good info there.
  • Congrats!!

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• No experience, but congrats!! :)

• So I posted a few weeks ago about having a supply problem since going back to work at the end of the summer (teacher.) Well, I was thinking about it last week and had an epiphany; pretty sudden supply drop-off, tired a lot, no period since early August, peeing all the time.....all things you could easily not notice or attribute to something else. But sure enough - got a BFP yesterday! Wow! Kinda shocked but shouldn't be, we removed the goalie for the summer to see what would happen but I didn't really think anything would. I'm way more fertile than I thought I was! Anyway, I'm wondering who else here has continued to BF while pregnant, even through a low supply. Now that I know the cause, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do to boost my supply. So far we seem to be doing okay, I think I'm making just enough to keep DD happy, but only barely. There are times it seems like she's frustrated because she's not getting much and then eventually kind of gives up where I think otherwise she would want more. There is definitely nothing left to pump. I am planning to supplement with formula but am not sure what the longer-term plan should be. My goal was to BF until one year, but now I'm thinking maybe I should give it up earlier. Just wondering what others' experience has been. Thanks ladies!
    Can I ask you when your cycle came back and how many cycles you had? I had 1 cycle at 7 months which is exactly when it came back with my other 2, but now have had nothing, which is not like with my other 2. I took a test but it was negative so I just figured not ovulating after the first cycle back. I too have had a HUGE supply dip but am able to use my freezer stash so I'm not worried about supplementing. After reading this I notice that I'm having to get up in the motn to pee, crap I should take another test shouldn't I?! My friend has 3 kids all about 15 months apart and she was able to pump/nurse until third tri when she had to stop bc they didn't want it to bring on contractions. Eta: tag @laowaigringa‌
    I delivered Jan. 24.  I think it was late April before I had a period, then another in the middle of June, and then early August, so roughly every 6-7 weeks but I wasn't paying much attention because I wasn't expecting them to come regularly. My periods have NEVER been regular and I figured while breastfeeding they'd be even less so. 
    I have read everything they have on kellymom, it sounds like while bfing does stimulate contractions, they generally aren't enough to cause problems or be a concern though of course it's up to your doctor. 
  • Congrats!

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

• edited September 2014

Can I ask you when your cycle came back and how many cycles you had? I had 1 cycle at 7 months which is exactly when it came back with my other 2, but now have had nothing, which is not like with my other 2. I took a test but it was negative so I just figured not ovulating after the first cycle back. I too have had a HUGE supply dip but am able to use my freezer stash so I'm not worried about supplementing. After reading this I notice that I'm having to get up in the motn to pee, crap I should take another test shouldn't I?!

My friend has 3 kids all about 15 months apart and she was able to pump/nurse until third tri when she had to stop bc they didn't want it to bring on contractions.

Eta: tag

@laowaigringa‌

I delivered Jan. 24.  I think it was late April before I had a period, then another in the middle of June, and then early August, so roughly every 6-7 weeks but I wasn't paying much attention because I wasn't expecting them to come regularly. My periods have NEVER been regular and I figured while breastfeeding they'd be even less so. 
    I have read everything they have on kellymom, it sounds like while bfing does stimulate contractions, they generally aren't enough to cause problems or be a concern though of course it's up to your doctor. 

Thanks, I took a test again last night and it was positive...quite a shock. Not really thinking this soon, but as my husband said not much we can do about it now. I literally had a period and then got pregnant. It's still sinking in...I'm hoping to be due at the very end of May so I only have to miss the last week of school. I really don't want to have to miss longer then that bc I took maternity leave last year and it was my first year at the school.

I think my friend had to stop because she was high risk for early labor.

Eta: forgot words

• MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
    edited September 2014
    Congrats, @mommy grams!!

• Congrats!
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Thanks @MiaMyPuggle‌ and @rgoblue‌

Thanks @loawaigringa for posting you're original post, I would have never rested had you not! PS, totally didn't mean to hijack your post!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"