VBAC

VBAC after failure to progress/heart decelerations

RDK24RDK24 member
edited September 2014 in VBAC
Hi everyone,
I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to this -- apologies if it's obvious and I missed it!

With my first LO I had irregular contractions (couldn't time them) for something crazy like 36 hrs before I went to the hospital with regular contractions at 40 weeks+4days. They checked me and I was at 3 cm dilated. My OB broke my water to move things along and then I was given pitocin (no one asked me if I wanted either of those things) and after a couple hours, I'd progressed to 4 cm. I had more pitocin, an epidural, and didn't progress any further. LO had heart rate decelerations when I had contractions so my OB strongly encouraged a c-section, which I agreed to, totally exhausted from the two days of labor. 

Given these circumstances, would I be a particularly good/bad candidate for VBAC? I'm still only thinking about TTGP again, but I had such a difficult time, both emotionally and physically, with my c-section and recovery that I'm already thinking about the possibility of VBAC.

Any experiences or info would be much appreciated!

Re: VBAC after failure to progress/heart decelerations

• Every L&D is different so I don't see any reason not to try! I was 1.5cm when I was induced and never got passed 3cm (well stalled for 4 hrs) before having a CS. I'm trying for a VBAC and am 37w.. Fingers crossed
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks, @kmt104 and @clgsquared, for giving me hope! And best of luck to you both. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you know if your LO was posterior? I had a long labor with my first, and even though I eventually made it to 10 cm, my contractions were never regular. I ended up with a c/s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you know if your LO was posterior? I had a long labor with my first, and even though I eventually made it to 10 cm, my contractions were never regular. I ended up with a c/s.
    I'm pretty sure she wasn't posterior -- I had an ultrasound on my due date and she was facing my back at that time. 
  • Great story @kshayes0315‌ and congrats on your VBAC!

OP, I had a similar first delivery as you, (not that long though!) and was induced because they caught heart decels before I even went into active labor and I've been told I'm fine to VBAC. Go for it and good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Do you know how they cut you? Some incisions can rule you out as a candidate, but if you weren't cut hip to hip, I don't see why you wouldn't be.
    This is something that you really need to talk about with your doctor, though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• RDK24RDK24 member
    edited September 2014
    @kshayes0315‌ congrats on your vbac! Good to know you've been told your a candidate, @rm2013gives me hope. And @imakeeff0rts I had the low bikini line incision, which I've read is a good one if you're hoping for a vbac. And of course I'll talk to my doctor about vbac hopes, I was just asking for anecdotal evidence here to give me some hope. 

:)
  • I had almost the same story with my first.  Induced at 41 weeks due to low fluid, labored on pitocin for 14 hours and didn't get past 5 cm.  Had decels and went for emergency c-section.  9 lb 8 oz baby.  I had a sucessful VBAC a year ago 9 lb 12 oz baby.  I think one of the keys is not being induced.  I went into labor on my own with DS 2 at 41 w and delivered at 41w1day.
  • I had almost the same story with my first.  Induced at 41 weeks due to low fluid, labored on pitocin for 14 hours and didn't get past 5 cm.  Had decels and went for emergency c-section.  9 lb 8 oz baby.  I had a sucessful VBAC a year ago 9 lb 12 oz baby.  I think one of the keys is not being induced.  I went into labor on my own with DS 2 at 41 w and delivered at 41w1day.
    Thanks! Might be a dumb Q, but does getting pitocin count as being induced?
  • Well pitocin is a contraction augmenter, so it won't start your labor...I think I had cervadil to start my labor, but the pitocin keeps it going and attempts to increase contractions to help you progress more quickly.
  • rm2013rm2013 member
    edited October 2014
    Good luck @RDK24‌. Just be prepared you may have to find a new doctor depending on their stance on VBACs. There are many in my area that flat out refuse to do them. If you haven't already, check out https://vbacfacts.com . They have a lot of good info and especially a set of questions for interviewing doctors to find out if they will truly support VBAC, or just say they do but will place arbitrary rules on you that will essentially force you into a RCS. I've heard of mamas saying their doctor told them they can't gain more than x lbs, or can't go overdue, etc all of which ACOG says are NOT valid reasons to rule out a VBAC. I'd start by asking your doctor those important questions to figure out if you need to switch. I interviewed 3 different practices before I found one that I felt assured would support my VBAC 100%.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This is really helpful, thank you!
    rm2013 said:
    Good luck @RDK24‌. Just be prepared you may have to find a new doctor depending on their stance on VBACs. There are many in my area that flat out refuse to do them. If you haven't already, check out https://vbacfacts.com . They have a lot of good info and especially a set of questions for interviewing doctors to find out if they will truly support VBAC, or just say they do but will place arbitrary rules on you that will essentially force you into a RCS. I've heard of mamas saying their doctor told them they can't gain more than x lbs, or can't go overdue, etc all of which ACOG says are NOT valid reasons to rule out a VBAC. I'd start by asking your doctor those important questions to figure out if you need to switch. I interviewed 3 different practices before I found one that I felt assured would support my VBAC 100%.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"