Special Needs

Its a vent with a side of sad :(

I think I mentioned not long ago that my school district is looking at "helping" us save money on our health plans.

I already pay out of pocket $280 a month because the carve out amount the district gives us is about $800 to apply to whichever plan we want.  Here is the kicker though-- I have one of the highest health plans.  No one is forcing me to take that one.  I have me and the kids on it (DH has his own). 

Coverage is WONDERFUL.  I have 45 speech visits, unlimited OT and unlimited vision.  The plan we are considering switching to has a cap of 60 COMBINED visits between therapies and NO VISION therapy unless he had one of two distinct eye conditions-- he does not.

So I am super sad.  Our EI is run by our district and we had a bad experience-- so its no good.  As a district we are voting in two weeks to decide if we should take this health plan or not.  It is so ridiculous because this health plan group requires 100% of employees to enroll or its a no go.  So currently we have the choice between Premera and Group Health.  If we choose this new group--- they have less plans and oh another convenient thing--- rate increases twice a year!  I am just sitting here wishing for October to get here already so we can vote and I can start planning how the hell I am going to afford this or breathe a sigh of relief because we are able to keep our current coverage.

Vent over.  I just needed to say it.  I feel like either crying or hitting someone.  Maybe both.  Just like you guys, I want the best for DS.  Right now I have an awesome schedule for him and its totally helping.  Private therapies are the way to go if they are covered and you can pay the co-pays.  I will let you guys know how it all pans out.  I am hoping there are enough others that use more than bare-bones services that will realize that by cutting out medical options -- its like voting for a pay cut 
:(

Re: Its a vent with a side of sad :(

• That really sucks :( I hope you get to keep the good plan. DH's employer changed dental providers a few years ago (with much worse coverage), and so many employees complained that they changed back the following year.

• ok so can you refuse and they wont get their 100%?
    thats great coverage thats not very expensive (what you have)
    Its a district vote.  If the majority votes to switch-- then I have no choice and I will have to switch.  Its the conditions set by the new company
    Yes my coverage is seriously the best.  In 2013, our family medical bills totaled $30,000 and we only paid about $5000

• Loading the player...
  • That really sucks :( I hope you get to keep the good plan. DH's employer changed dental providers a few years ago (with much worse coverage), and so many employees complained that they changed back the following year.
    They mentioned this is a possibility-- if we hate it we can revote next year.  I just can not take the stress of thinking this may become a yearly drama :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"