January 2013 Moms
Options

EW: Playing with Poop?! Help!

Ok, so T is extremely interested in the potty and knows what pee and poop is, knows to say potty, but we are still quite a ways from potty training. This past week, though, he's started putting his hands in his diaper and playing with his poop! The first time was at daycare, so I chalked it up to them not changing him quickly enough. The next morning we went in to find he completely painted his crib with his poop! So disgusting! I put onesies on him for a few days and it stopped, but he'd still sometimes get a finger in there and come out to me and say yuck! Poop! He had stopped and was getting a little rash from being so wrapped up, so I sent him to school today without a onesie - and he played with his poop again! And THEN, when he got home, he ran upstairs and was there for literally 30 seconds and I come up to him wiping poop on the dresser. I'm at a COMPLETE loss here. I hate to keep him in onesies all of the time but I obviously have to. I read a bunch of articles and it seems like this is "normal" but not common, and that it typically happens when some kiddos are getting ready to enter potty training stages. I've told him NO, yucky poop and NO, don't touch (both phrases he understands) and he'll repeat it back, but he obviously doesn't care.

Just wondering if anyone else is dealing or has dealt with this previously and has any advice? I've read it's a phase that passes usually pretty quickly, but OMG it's so gross.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EW: Playing with Poop?! Help!

• Options
    I have no experience here, but I will say I hope it passes quickly. Also, maybe he is more ready for actual potty training then you think. Until you can give it a real go I'd probably stick with the onesie. Honestly, good luck I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start if DS started doing this.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is normal and I definitely recommend a onsie/short combo until it passes. About 8-9 months ago my DS was really into digging into his diaper for poop to play with and also pulling his penis up (and then peeing over the top of his diaper). Onsies and shorts saved us. You have to do both because with just onsies they can still get in there from the leg holes.

DS has relapsed a little this last month or two, but now instead of playing with it he immediately comes to show me his poopy fingers... I'm hoping it's a sign he's ready to potty train.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A friend dealt with this as well.  Onesies during the day and zip up footie pajamas at night helped her.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    Yikes! No advice but I hope it doesn't last long. I agree with the pp's. Keep him in onesies to prevent him from playing with it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm dreading if this starts happening at our house. My plan is to pray it gets old quickly to him and lots of footy PJ's and onesies!! GL!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"