January 2014 Moms

Need etiquette advice

So who are the etiquette experts on here?  I need help!

DS recieved a birthday card with a check in it from an aquaitance of ours - someone DH and I see frequently but only for a couple of weeks out of the year (he is in a theater group we are in).  He has done little things for DS in the past on his birthday and christmas becasue he feels a bond with him since they have the same birthdya.  Well they also sent a card and a check for DD.  The note in the card indicated that they thought it was a belated birthday present.  Kind of along the lines of time is flying and hope you had a good day sort of thing.  What do I do?  I can think of a few options - which should I choose?

1. Cash both checks and write thank you notes like nothing was out of the ordinary
2. Cash DS's check and return DD's with a note along the lines of "time sure is flying I cant believe DD is 8 months old already, January and her first birthday are just around the corner"
3. Cash both checks and include a note along the lines of "you have reminded me how fast time is going, I cant believe DD will be one year old soon!" 
4. SS option - please explain. 

Re: Need etiquette advice

• I don't think I'd return the check because it might be seen as rude. I would choose option 3
  • If you're sure they meant it as a birthday gift and not a belated baby-arrival gift, than I would go with option 3. I've recieved a few really late "congrats on the baby" gifts, so I could see it being that too. But if the note was for a birthday, than that is kind of confusing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Loading the player...
  • I vote 3 as well. I would not return the check.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Thanks everyone. I knew a returned check felt awkward but I also feel awkward cashing it. If I saw them more often I would just talk to them bit I don't expect to see them until February or March when the show starts.

• Thanks everyone. I knew a returned check felt awkward but I also feel awkward cashing it. If I saw them more often I would just talk to them bit I don't expect to see them until February or March when the show starts.

They might have sent it as an early gift for her since they won't be seeing you until February.
  • #3 definitely. In the thank you, write something about reminding you to start up a college fund for DD...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"