March 2015 Moms
Options

My mother is so completely out of touch with reality

Her advice to me before was "just make sure you take some time for yourself... put your feet up, relax, pamper yourself".  

I work full time.  My DH works more than full time and is often home late and working weekends.  My kids do activities after school several days per week.

When does she want me to do this?  Maybe she means that I should just ask my 2 and 5 year old if they mind bathing themselves and reading their own stories so Mommy can lay down and watch some TV.

She HAD 3 kids, so it is not as if this is a foreign concept to her.  I guess being out of the parenting game for a while leaves one prone to completely forget what it is like.

(I am super cranky if you can't tell)

Re: My mother is so completely out of touch with reality

• Options
    Lol, I was going to say I think she's just trying to be nice....it's one of those things pregnant women "should" do, but it's hard with kids at home. It's one thing when it's your first, but it's a whole different level of busy and tired when you're already parenting. But if you get a chance, when the kids are in bed, try to relax ;) I know I do....planning on a nice warm bath tonight!!!!
  • Options
    052806052806 member
    edited September 2014
    aylacbw said:
    It sounds like she was just trying to remind you to take some time for yourself when you can. Sorry you're feeling frustrated, but maybe you can take that comment and say "ok, but to do that I need a babysitter. Would you mind?"
    Haha maybe I should have mentioned that she decided she was done being a parent when my youngest sister was 14.  She picked up and moved 3,000 miles away and left her with my dad- so this advice from her is even more irritating.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    052806052806 member
    edited September 2014
    MrsZko said:
    Lol, I was going to say I think she's just trying to be nice....it's one of those things pregnant women "should" do, but it's hard with kids at home. It's one thing when it's your first, but it's a whole different level of busy and tired when you're already parenting. But if you get a chance, when the kids are in bed, try to relax ;) I know I do....planning on a nice warm bath tonight!!!!
    You mean when DH is asking me if I have any kisses for him?  Dude, try letting me know you will be coming home 2 hours late from work BEFORE I inquire as to your whereabouts and maybe I will have some.

I am REALLY grumpy.  Sheesh.  Maybe I need a bath ;)
  • Options
    052806 said:
    MrsZko said:
    You mean when DH is asking me if I have any kisses for him?  Dude, try letting me know you will be coming home 2 hours late from work BEFORE I inquire as to your whereabouts and maybe I will have some.

I am REALLY grumpy.  Sheesh.  Maybe I need a bath ;)
    Bwaha kisses! That's funny. I hate not getting a head's up!!! And yeah, sounds like a bath would help you too. We're in the midst of moving so I need it to keep my stress levels down ;)!
  • Options
    I feel like this is a cliché thing that people feel like they are supposed to say to every mom.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My mom would say something stupid like that - but she didn't raise any of us (selfish, un-motherly brat who had my dad and her father raise us until her dad died and then she became a drunk and ignored us).  Needless to say, I just ignore lame comments like that and realize that she has a different sense of reality when it comes to parenting.
    DS (11), DS (9), DD (7), DS (5), and *surprise* DD (EDD March 3)
  • Options
    2Swanns2Swanns member
    edited September 2014
    It's a nicety - just something people just say. Take it with a grain of salt - no need to get all worked up!
  • Options
    My mom said something similar to me a few weeks ago. DH is going through Air Assault school right now and DS has three to four therapies a week, and I'm taking full time classes. I told her if she would come up here and deal with the kids then I would gladly find time for myself. Her response is have DH take time of work. UMM huh, Army doesn't really let you take off work for no reason. Especially when we used up most of our leave time helping her out when my step-dad had a stroke.

imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"