May 2013 Moms
Options

Potty Training

So a few weeks ago, our daycare provider mentioned that DD was showing signs of interest for potty training.  DH and I thought we noticed it as well, but seeing as we have never done this before we brushed it off.  Now that daycare is mentioning it, together we have decided to start potty training.  Today is Day 1, and daycare will be starting the process.  Daycare told us to bring a character themed potty chair and some pullups and to have a matching set at home.  Other than that, that is all I know so far.  This process is making me feel very overwhelmed and emotional!  Any tips/suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Potty Training

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I have nothing for you but wish you luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My comment above keeps deleting the rest lol.

Anyway a friend of mine that trained by 18 months said the key was being consistent. That meant at home, daycare, grandma's everywhere.

I plan on starting in about 2 months. Hopefully it goes well but if not then I'll press pause and try again a little later.

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  Part of me thinks this is way too soon.  @trulyblessed22 was your friend successful by 18 months?  I have no problems pressing pause if this doesn't work, I just don't want to do more harm than good by starting too early.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    smg2302 said:

Thanks ladies.  Part of me thinks this is way too soon.  @trulyblessed22 was your friend successful by 18 months?  I have no problems pressing pause if this doesn't work, I just don't want to do more harm than good by starting too early.

Yes, her DD started showing interest at 15 months so she talked to her Ped at that wellness visit and they said it was ok to try as long as there wasn't a lot of pressure behind it where the child felt obligated to hold it. The reason behind that is it could cause damage if they hold way too long because their bodies aren't ready for that yet. So with that said my friend took it slow, no pressure and let her DD wear a pull up for a long time just in case but would frequently ask if she need to "go focus" hehe. It took a couple of months to get her fully trained but by 18 months she was done. I think she officially started at 16.

• Options
    I guess I'm just nervous to see how overnight will go.  I always assumed I would do the toddler bed first, so if she has to go in the middle of the night she can.  I'm thinking we will be in pullups for a while.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    pnutgpnutg member
    edited September 2014
    We just bought a potty the other day but haven't started. C just wants to lift the lid and put toys in it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mommatotwo2mommatotwo2 member
    edited September 2014
    My LO is shown some signs such as hiding to poop and "telling us" she needs a change by standing at the changing table and yelling lol. I talked to the pediatrician at our 15 month visit and he said we could try with no pressure if it didn't work.

I'll likely wait till DD can communicate better and consistently pull down her own pants. Being potty trained at home is one thing but trying to deal with a kid with no diaper that says about six words consistently, while we're out, sounds like a nightmare and a pee filled one at that.

If I may share as a btdt mom, pullups are a huge waste of money. They're an expensive diaper that the kid will happily pee in.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We bought a potty because they were showing signs of being interested in the bathroom. We talked to the pedi and he recommended no "training" before 2 because for most kids they don't have muscle control yet for it, but he suggested getting them familiar with a potty so its not scary. His big thing was having no expectations before 2.

Good luck. She sounds really in tune with what's going on.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I agree pull ups are a joke but I also realize a lot of day cares require their use until kids stop having accidents. We did the 3 day method with my older child and it took a full 9 days when she was 26 months old. My little guy is all about sitting on the potty and sometimes he pees but I have no plans to train him anytime soon.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I was wondering what next step would haver totally confused as a ftm....potty training.

@smg2302‌ -No advice other than good luck!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"