Natural Birth

Jump start labor?

kayybee++kayybee++ member
edited September 2014 in Natural Birth
37 weeks 2cm and having back contractions. In labor but not active labor. Wanting to speed things up, how effective is castor oil?

Jump start labor? 102 votes

Yes
4% 5 votes
No
95% 97 votes

Re: Jump start labor?

• Elbug said:
    You're not full term yet according to new guidelines so absolutely not. This could be prodromal labor that does nothing to your cervix and can continue for another week or more. That would suck but would be better for baby. Plus shitting yourself doesn't sound like a pleasant part of labor. Not everyone has a bad experience but quite a few do. Castor oil also increases the chances of baby pooping in utero which can be dangerous.
    All of this plus dehydration. Go bounce on a ball or take a bath, listen to some hypno tracks and chill out.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • I'm also voting no, I would want that baby to cook much longer. I've heard prod tonal labor sucks but it is better than an undeveloped baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with others - you're not full term and I wouldn't use Castor Oil at this point.  I know the back contractions aren't fun, but you need to be more patient. 

I would use Castor Oil only has a last resort - like if you're facing induction but want to see if you can jump start stuff on your own.  Other, less unpleasant ways to get labor started or speed up include walking, sex (although at the end that seemed as unpleasant as Castor Oil), nipple stimulation, etc.  But none of these, including Castor Oil, are going to do any good if your baby isn't ready to come out.  Give it more time. 

• I don't know that I would ever try castor oil under any circumstances, as my MW said, it's pretty harsh.  But I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it at 37w.  Please don't do it!
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited September 2014
    *I* would and have used castor oil, but only at full term. It's what my midwife and I used for the birth of my youngest. I would only use it under my provider's care and knowledge. My current midwife's first go-to for inducing labor is not castor oil.

You're not in active labor, and you should relax and allow him/her to reach term.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• And as for castor oil leading to passing meconium. It's a correlation. The majority of women who are more inclined to use castor oil are late term or post dates. Post dates babies are more likely to pass meconium due to having mature bowels. They could have passed it before labor, which is not uncommon after, say, 41 weeks.

And there haven't been studies that prove castor oil passes through the placenta. This explains its mechanism.

• Why would you want to deliver your baby nearly a month early for no medical reason? I am so confused right now. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • No. 37 weeks is not full term and 2cm means NOTHING!!! I had a girl on my son's bmb who was 4cm for three weeks and delivered at 41 weeks after being induced. Stop getting vaginal exams, they won't tell you anything about how close you are to delivering.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• JCWhitey said:
    No. 37 weeks is not full term and 2cm means NOTHING!!! I had a girl on my son's bmb who was 4cm for three weeks and delivered at 41 weeks after being induced. Stop getting vaginal exams, they won't tell you anything about how close you are to delivering.
    Yep! I walked around at 6cm-7cm, 100% effaced and contractions every 2-10 min for three weeks. I STILL wound up needing augmentation because even after my water broke my kid was nice and cozy. Weirdest labor ever.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Ok I totally voted NO and mobile said yes... Ugh.
    I agree with everyone else.

Big NO from me as well. baby is not full term and it means absolutely nothing. I have been 2cm and 50% effaced since 33w. I would much prefer to let baby cook longer. So much brain development happens I the last few weeks!
  • JCWhitey said:
    No. 37 weeks is not full term and 2cm means NOTHING!!! I had a girl on my son's bmb who was 4cm for three weeks and delivered at 41 weeks after being induced. Stop getting vaginal exams, they won't tell you anything about how close you are to delivering.
    Yep! I walked around at 6cm-7cm, 100% effaced and contractions every 2-10 min for three weeks. I STILL wound up needing augmentation because even after my water broke my kid was nice and cozy. Weirdest labor ever.
    This. I've walked around at 5, 6 and 7 cm without being in labor. That's typical for me. I didn't start labor until 7.5 cm with my first and nearing 8 cm with my second. I was 7 cm with ruptured membranes with no contractions. No labor to speak of.

My midwife with my third baby had a client that was 8 cm for two weeks. It was her 5th baby. They eventually decided to rupture her membranes and baby was born 10 minutes later.

• aeonlux said:
    JCWhitey said:
    This. I've walked around at 5, 6 and 7 cm without being in labor. That's typical for me. I didn't start labor until 7.5 cm with my first and nearing 8 cm with my second. I was 7 cm with ruptured membranes with no contractions. No labor to speak of.

My midwife with my third baby had a client that was 8 cm for two weeks. It was her 5th baby. They eventually decided to rupture her membranes and baby was born 10 minutes later.
    I need to read your birth stories! Did your labors all go fast?
  • personally, I would keep baby in as long as possible.  I would only try natural methods to try and jump start labor at 40 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"