April 2014 Moms

WAHMs - What do you do?

I'm seriously contemplating quitting my job but I'd like to be able to contribute a little financially while staying home.

If you are working from home - what do you do? Do you like it? If you don't mind me getting personal, roughly how many hours do you put in and how much do you make?

I have a BA in sociology and I'm currently in the human services field but I'm open to almost anything. I also have a background in sales. Ideas?

Re: WAHMs - What do you do?

• I was an ER/Trauma nurse now staying at home until I find a new job since it looks like continuing to be a SAHM isn't going to work out. I've been trying to sell knitted things on Etsy but I've only sold one thing so far.
  • I have a home daycare where I watch other peoples kids. You can choose how much time you want to put into it by choosing the age you want to watch. If you want something really simple, you could do before and after care for school age kids. All you have to do is feed them breakfast in the morning, take them to the bus, then pick them up from the bus in the afternoon and give them a snack and watch them until the parents pick them up after work. You may need to help with homework. It can be difficult to get started though. It took me a little over a year to get my first child enrolled. Ido live a little out of the way though. Around here the average rate for before and after care is about $75 a week per child.
  • Loading the player...
  • I too have a home daycare.  Before DS, I worked Mon-Fri.  Now I work Tue-Fri so that DS and I have one day just for us.  I've only been back to work for 3 weeks, it's a little tougher with DS here but I'm thankful to be at home with him.  I do all day care for no more than 5 kids.  I don't make a ton of money at it, probably around 32k a year.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a real estate appraiser but it's hard to get in to.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work in Talent Aquisition. My background is in recruiting but I do more than that at this point- I manage staffing for a large company for all offices in MD.

There are some recruiting jobs you can do remotely, but they are big in being on the phone so you couldn't do it with a baby at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am a freelance writer and editor. I work in small windows of time, mostly when E is asleep or with her dad. It's hard to focus enough when she's with me, but I will say that I'm more productive than I've ever been with the small amount of time I do have. All told, I probably work roughly 5 hours each day.

• I have two jobs. I'm a contractor for Leapforce.com, a search engine evaluation company. I work 100% online and set my own hours, I just have to meet minimum productivity and quality standards. It's only 13.50 an hour, but makes a difference

I also do freelance sewing work for clients in my area. I take on jobs when I have time, and don't when things get too crazy.

I work mostly during naps, weekends, or after the kid are in bed. It's very tiring to work from home and be a SAHM, but it's worth it to me

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I still use my JD for contract hours at home -- mostly document review (snore) for large discovery sets for a friend's commercial litigation firm.  The work is case-based so it could be 20-30 hours a week for a month and then nothing for a while.  The work isn't the most exciting (understatement), but it pays well (up to $70 an hour) and keeps, like, half my pinkie-toe in the lady-lawyer-door. It couldn't be more different than the work I was doing before having DD (non-profit; immigration law), but, as someone who has a really hard time mentally being a SAHM, it's good for my headspace. 
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • I do side jobs for my ex-employer. I used to design invitations, stationery, cell phone cases, and on and on... They laid me off when I was 7 months pregnant which blew big time, but I at least was able to collect unemployment up until this month. Now I just take whatever side jobs they give me. It's become increasingly difficult to work now that DD is not napping during the day and I'm exhausted at night, but they understand. We've never lived off of 1 income before and DH only makes $47k, so we'll see how this goes! I wouldn't trade the time I get to spend with DD for anything.
  • I monogram and appliqué from home. I have a business Facebook and take from there and a few local boutiques. I spend about 10-15 hours per week and make around 200 a week.

I'm still brand new to it so time management is still hard for me. It's pretty difficult to juggle three kids and that. I need something to do besides cooking, cleaning and watching kids.
  • I work for a biotechnology company marketing a brand new anti aging product. I work approx 10-20 hours a week, although since it is essentially like owning your own business you can choose how much time to invest. The tax benefits are amazing for us, and I absolutely love the product. The company culture aligns well with my values and I get to help others reach their goals, so for me it is a great fit.
  • I'm a legal document preparer. I do work for my husbands clients and for other financial advisors. You can make really good money as a cldp, however, right now I'm just doing referral work. So about one trust a month etc. I'm just really busy with the baby and my other two kids and since dh can pay the bills I could care less about extra money right now. I don't want to overwhelm myself. It is a juggling act trying to be a full time stay at home mom and a worker out of your house. But it's worth it.
  • @AmberLiz99‌ How many hours a week do you average with Leapforce?

Only about 5-10, but that's due to my busy schedule. I did more when I only had one kid

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • olenkapdxolenkapdx member
    edited September 2014
    I WFH part time in my job as a technical writer.  SO watches my LO when I am working.  There is no way I would get anything done if I had to watch her and work; the work is way too complex and also has a high amount of being in contact with coworkers throughout the day. 
  • @sandbridge1030‌ Your work is beautiful! I love that you did Andrew McCutchen's photos! I'll be sure to keep you in mind if a Pgh friend needs a rec for a photographer.

• @mommyofmac You live in Texas!? I don't think I ever knew that!
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • I run an online store for a local interior design business. I work part time and receive a base pay + commission for items sold.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • @mommyofmac Oh darn. :( I mean, that's good for you though. I'm sure you're glad to be home. lol I live around the Houston area, about 45 minutes south of it!
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • @mommyofmac‌ so busy right now + a teething baby. This mama needs a vacation!!

EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • @mommyofmac‌ so busy right now + a teething baby. This mama needs a vacation!!
    Uhm your work is fantastic and your marketing is superb! No wonder you're busy, Mama! My ONE regret in life is that we were young and dumb when we got married and accepted the "gift" of photography offered by a friend who just graduated from art school. Yeah, no. A nice camera and diploma do not a photographer make. Lesson learned. 
  • @sandbridge1030‌
    Do you shoot only weddings & engagements? I'm throwing around the idea of hiring a prof photographer for LO's baptism (in Pgh) in late Oct. If not, anyone you could recommend?
  • Thanks ladies! @steph1977‌ I'll shoot you an email :)

EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"