High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

High blood pressure before 20 weeks

Hello all, I'm hoping to hear from anyone who may have been through high blood pressure before 20 weeks. I'm 14w on my 4th pregnancy. (2 living, 1 angel). I have 2 clotting disorders (mthfr and pai-1). I began having some visual changes in the last week, flashes of light and floaters, when I called my OB the nurse didn't seem concerned and said I didn't need to be seen but today I felt off all day and the visual disturbances were worse. I had to call the after hours line and that nurse instructed me to go to the er. The er took my bp and it was 155/85, my normal is 130/70ish. I am seeing my ob in the morning and I'm just worried- which isn't helping anything! Anyone been through similar? I'm assuming I will be put on meds or having more frequent check ups.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: High blood pressure before 20 weeks

• Options
    Did they test your urine for protein? If not, I'd ask your OB about that it sounds a little like a preeclampsia symptom with the visual changes and you definitely don't want to mess with that. If they say its too early ask them to check it anyways .... I went in to the hospital at 19 weeks and they kept saying it was too early for pree but nope, sure had it. PAI-1 is possibly a contributor to pre-e as well. Doesn't hurt to check it out just in case.
    Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I saw my regular ob yesterday and he didn't want to do a 24 hr catch yet but has me checking my pressure 3 times a day. I are him again on the 4th then my high risk on the 18th. I will push for a 24 hr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wasn't diagnosed pre-e until I was admitted at 37 weeks and later that day induced, but my OB had me going in every 2 weeks to see him starting at 12 weeks and doing full blood, ultrasound, and 24hr urine once a month. Around 30 weeks he added weekly NST and biophysical profiling too.

I was induced because of the symptoms you were describing. I would definitely push for more/frequent testing. I thought he was being paranoid but I really appreciate it now. (This was my first baby if that matters.)

All the best.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I will definitely be talking to my dr. more. I am 15 weeks tomorrow. He said I can't get pre-e before 20 weeks, which obviously isn't true because kflynn81 said she was diagnosed at 19 weeks. I was pretty satisfied with my ob but right now I'm feeling like he was brushing me off.
  • Options
    I have had very slight swelling in my hands. The visual disturbances haven't come back yet and thankfully no headache. I was induced with my son at 37 weeks due to all of these symptoms and high blood pressure.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hypertension before 20 weeks is considered gestational hypertension and not pre eclampsia, although gestational hypertension can turn into pre eclampsia. Gestational hypertension is not associated with protein in urine or swelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"