Two Under 2

Timeframe for transitioning into a toddler bed?

DD will be 19 months old when her baby brother is born.  We have two bedrooms upstairs (one of which is ours) so the kids will share the other room.  We plan on having the infant sleep in our room for at least the first 6 months until he starts getting closer to STTN and are debating about whether we should transition DD to a toddler bed during that time or if we should get a second crib.  I am hesitant to move her to a toddler bed both because that means that she will no longer be contained (AHHH!) and when her little brother is in there I know she will be fascinated by him.  But another part of me doesn't want to a buy another crib if we are only going to be using it for less than a year before she is ready for a toddler bed.  Advice?
 AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg

Re: Timeframe for transitioning into a toddler bed?

• Our two, and soon to be three, room share. I have two cribs and highly recommend going that route. If you want a good, inexpensive crib that converts to a toddler bed, I got my Graco Lauren crib for just over $100, and the front rail comes off to make a toddler bed. We just took the front rail off for DD who is barely 2 a couple weeks ago because she started trying to climb out. There is no way I would want to give a toddler that freedom at night a minute sooner than necessary.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • My two are 19 months apart and we went with two cribs - we found a used convertible one so we can get more use out of it. My LO is 5 months now and her big sister shows no signs of giving up her crib anytime soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with buying another crib.  DD and DS are 19.5 mos apart and I did not want DD to be free at night while dealing with DS.  DD stayed in her crib till she turned 3 and DS just turned 2 and he is still in his crib.  Definitely the right decision for us.  Also, our second crib was about $100 so not too bad really.  

I think it will help with sharing if they are both in a crib versus your oldest being able to get up and go to your LO.  You could always hold off a bit to see what your DD will do.  
  • Thanks everyone!  I think we will suck it up and get a second crib.  She does really well in there now but she does play/talk/sing in there for a while before she goes to sleep so I think containing her is necessary!
     AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • wildflower75wildflower75 member
    edited September 2014

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• My babes will be 21 months apart. The new babe will be in our room for about 6 months. If DS is not ready for a toddler bed by the time we transition the baby out of our room, we will use the pack n Play.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would wait until baby is born before buying a second crib. My DD turned into a completely different kid once the baby came home. Tantrums started and within days she was climbing out of her crib.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"