December 2012 Moms

what do you do when you feel yourself about to snap

I feel horrible, LO and are not having a good day. The poor thing is teething, he has 2 canines that cut through and another about to and is getting over a pretty nasty cold as well as refusing to nap(hhe's finally down). So basically I have an extremely emotional toddler who has thrown more trantrums in one day than he has his whole life! And I snapped =( I just couldn't handle it anymore and I yelled at him unnessicarily and he cried and then I cried and it was just a big ole cry fest. 
I usually walk away when I feel that overwhelmed and give myself a second but this surprised me just as much as it did LO. I'm hoping I'm not the only one to feel that overwhelmed so if your willingly to share, what is your trick to keeping your cool? I personally think a mommy day would help but I hate leaving LO, although it's clearly in our best interest, just for an hour or two atleast.

Re: what do you do when you feel yourself about to snap

• I usually do what you do and just walk away for a minute. If DH is home, I will leave and go run an errand or go for a walk just to get a break. I'm not going to say I've never snapped and yelled at her though. Don't beat yourself up too badly. It happens to the best of us. It sounds like some mommy time is probably in order, and there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Beth.1212Beth.1212 member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with the PP. Don't be too hard on yourself - this parenting thing is hard! It wouldn't hurt to get a little time "off" - maybe DH can take LO to see some of the in-laws for an afternoon so that you can decompress? 

There have been times that I've talked through what I'm feeling to LO (using a calm voice) if it's just the two of us and I'm getting really frustrated. Something like, "Oh no, another tantrum. I know you're teething and you don't really have a better way of dealing with it, but this is really making mommy frustrated. I need you to try and calm down. Please, honey. I'm just going to put you in your pack and play until you're calm, and then I'll come back." Just saying the words can help. 
  • Loading the player...
  • we do the best we can. DH will send me to a time out ;) when he see's I am getting to that point. If he's not home, I might turn music and let us dance it out, or try to go for a stroller walk or nurse her. LO got 3 time outs fron me yesterday (including one for biting me on the butt! Mot her first time biting, nor her first time out.for it). Luckily DH was there as a buffer, but he gave her a few timeouts as well.

Have found keeping us busy (i.e. visiting others & doing activities helps a lot). Not such a great idea until your LO is healthy again, but maybe pull out a few art supplies, or fort making material (a big sheet) and read books in the fort?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"