Babies: 0 - 3 Months

If breast feeding when will you introduce pacifier

Hi ladies this is my 3rd and with each kid it's been so different. DD was given a pacifier at the hospital but I had a really hard time nursing her. DS didn't take one and now with this baby were about 4 days in and nursing is going great. Any reason I should still wait to give him a pacifier? He was really fussy last night in between feedings and I thought that might help? Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: If breast feeding when will you introduce pacifier

• We introduced a pacifier in the first week and didn't have any problems with nursing.
  • Lo is 2 weeks old and still have not introduced it. Is there a reason to?
  • Loading the player...
  • JuniperGazeJuniperGaze member
    edited September 2014
    We took ours away while we were having issues in the beginning. Once our BF relationship was well established we started reintroducing it. It took some time for her to even want it. I think she started taking it consistently around 8 weeks or so. She was just very picky about which ones she preferred before then. I think if you're still having any issues then you should wait. Otherwise there's no reason you can't start giving it back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cornflwr33cornflwr33 member
    edited September 2014
    i agree...  our girl was given one at hospital but she didnt want it...  she is 3 weeks and hasnt had one even during fussy times

ps how do i fix my ticker? I can't get it right: (
    Married 08-04-13
    BFP 12-31-13
    EDD 09-01-14

image"Lilypie">

• DD has had a soother since day 2 or 3 and we have never had an issue BFing. She loves to suck, so I can't imagine life without a soother.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• One of the worries with pacifiers is that if baby's need to suck is met with a paci and not with the breast, they won't be getting the nutrition they need. I think if you keep that in mind, and offer the paci after breastfeeding, you shouldn't necessarily run into paci problems. 

• With DD, I was having trouble with the breastfeeding the first week because she was sucking me raw.  It was painful and I dreaded every time she got hungry.  Our feedings were lasting 45-60 minutes.

Then I saw a Lactation Consultant who asked me if I had noticed a difference between her cues for being hungry vs. needing to suck.  The fact was...even after she had finished eating, she still wanted to suck for a long time.  So we introduced a pacifier at 5 days and it's been uphill since then.  Feedings dropped to 15-20 minutes in length.  

Moral of the story: some babies have a stronger desire to suck than others.  If your baby doesn't, don't feel like you have to introduce one.  

• DS is 15 days old. I started it on the second day in the hospital he never wanted it unless he was really tired bc he just wanted me as a pacifier and my nipple were hurting so bad. I use MAM pacifiers bc he can hold them in his mouth better. He usually only wants it after he's done nursing and ready to sleep.
  • We introduced paci to our baby first week. He's now 5 weeks old and there has never been any nipple confusion with bottles or breast. He doesn't really like paci, but it's great when he does take it as it soothes him once I know he's full.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"