May 2013 Moms
Options

Milk allergy?

When LO was an infant she could not tolerate dairy or soy. At one year old I reintroduced dairy. She handles yogurt, cheese, and ice cream just fine. It seems like every time she drinks milk she ends up with diarrhea and a bad diaper rash. That's what we're going through this week. Anyone else experience this? Im thinking the milk is just too strong for her. What is a better option? Lactaid? Or a milk alternative? Daycare is nut free.

Re: Milk allergy?

• Options
    Yes, we went through this, based on my experience I would find a milk alternative. You can still give her cheese and yogurt but I think if she is sensitive to milk you don't want milk even lactaid milk to be her primary beverage.
  • Options
    That happened to S for the first couple weeks when we switched over, but then her tummy seems to have adapted. Have you tried other types of "milk" other than cow milk to the same effect? You could also maybe do almond milk or coconut milk? I don't think they're as fatty (from what I've been told anyway) but it might be a good alternative? I'd probably ask my pedi though to make sure
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Emmett is still sensitive to dairy, so we avoid altogether. We tried reintroducing yogurt/cheese first around 12 months (our pedi said it's a common time to outgrow an intolerance) but he still got diarrhea and upset stomach. Goats milk is a great alternative, or almond milk. The goats milk, though, is full fat so that's probably better than almond since it's fat free and low in calories. He loves goats milk and goat cheese !

Edit: Just read about DC being nut free... you should def try goats milk ! It's composition is a lot like human milk (our local goat farm lady told me this haha) so there's no dairy protein to bother their tummy
    image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I've put a call in to the pediatrician. Waiting on a call back.

• Options
    @LimaBeanMOM, almond milk has less protein and fat than whole cows milk.  The closest I found to matching was Soy and Hemp milk.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The doctor recommended trying soy milk. We'll give it a try on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"