October 2014 Moms
Options

Local woman delivered her baby where??!!

I was just watching the news and a local woman delivered her baby in the parking lot of a grocery store. The manager delivered her because the paramedics didn't arrive in time. I don't get how someone can either not know they are in labor until the point that the baby is crowning or have that short of a labor...crazy!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP - 2/5/14
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Local woman delivered her baby where??!!

• Options
    Crazy!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    My mom used to work security for one of the universities near us and she almost had to deliver a baby for one of the professors. Luckily paramedics got there in time but my mom said that she was pretty much crowning by the time they showed up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    savagek7 said:
    Just watch the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" and you'll be amazed at how many people wouldn't know...
    OMG THOSE STORIES SCARE ME SO MUCH! i guess my body is super sensitive or something..but i knew i was preggo before i even took a test! How can you just "NOT KNOW" your preggo let alone...feel like your about to give birth?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimageimageimage imageimage
  • Options
    This actually happened to a lady that I know.  Her first labor was 23 hours long and she had plenty of time to get to the hospital.  Her second was just under 5 hours.  She said that it started the same (nice and slow), then 3 hours in it picked up a little and they decided to get ready to go.  She and her husband packed the bags and called for the sitter to get their first kid, which took about an hour.  Then she said it was getting really intense.  They get in the car, and on the way down the street, she asks her husband to run into the grocery store to grab a couple of things that they didn't have at home yet for the labor bag.  She was in the car waiting for about 15 minutes, and she said she just had to get on all fours because the pain was suddenly so intense.  This was before cell phones so she couldn't call her husband.  Instead she rolled the window down and started yelling to people.  Someone walking by saw her and realized what was happening, so they called an ambulance!  When her husband came out of the store (there was a line at the check out), the ambulance was there and they were trying to convince her to move to the ambulance, but she couldn't.  She ended up giving birth in the back seat of the car in the parking lot of the grocery store on all fours.

She said that the whole thing was just so totally unlike her first labor that she didn't recognize how fast it was coming until it was too late.  She said the best part was that she'd been trying to convince her husband that they needed to trade in that car for months, but he was totally opposed to it until she gave birth in the back seat.  She ended up getting her new car!
    This is kind of how my labors went. The first one took forever and I ended up needing pitocin because my labor was stalling. My second was under 2 1/2 hours and I didn't feel that bad until the last 20 minutes. Once I got to my hospital room he was born 10 minutes later (and that was with the nurses telling me not to push and waiting on the dr). I had no idea I was that close, I assumed of have another long labor.This time I'm freaking out a bit because I'm expecting another crazy fast labor. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    Im honestly scared of not making it to the hospital in time this pregnancy. With all these false labor contractions that feel like the real thing, Im afraid I will put it off till it is pushing it! They say that once I do go into actual active labor, that it will go fast. :-S

Im sure that Ill be ok, but it still scares me just the same.
  • Options
    My mom wasn't able to make it to the hospital in time to deliver my brother, my aunt delivered him on her couch and the paramedics got there just after she'd cut the cord and bundled him up in blankets. Her first delivery (me) was 6 hrs, 2nd was 3hrs, and then my brother.
  • Options
    My first was 5 hours, second was 2 hours. I made it to the hospital at 9.5 cm with DD2. I'm wondering if I'll even make it this time. I think my husband should read up on delivering a baby. ;)
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A close friend of my mom's had her second son at home in her bedroom, after just 15 minutes of labor and 3 contractions.

She had one super painful contraction that was long and she could barely breathe through. Said to her husband; "Honey, this is really different and strong. Maybe we should get the bags ready." He went downstairs to get the bags and she walked into the bathroom, had another contraction that was equally intense. Went to the bathroom, water broke. Walked back into the bedroom and felt a sudden extreme urge to push. Yelled to her husband to get back upstairs NOW!!! and had one more contraction, involuntarily pushing and delivering her 10lb 11oz boy in one push.

TRUE STORY. She told it at my baby shower for DS, and I will never forget it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have fast labors too. My problem is I do not feel any sort of pain at all until I hit around 7-8 cm and it goes super fast at that point for me....I usually deliver within 10-15 mins after I feel pain..the pain is super intense too. So I never really know when I am in labor with my babies- I have preterm labor stuff that I only feel as like regular braxton hicks...and I do the prodromal labor stuff and silently keep dilating till I am around a 5-6....then I hit a 7 and WHAM- intense pain and baby suddenly drops and I am pushing before I can catch my breath.... my last baby was caught by the nurse 15 mins after my water broke- my midwife didn't make it in time. The only way I know I am in labor is someone in my family will suggest I get checked just in case when I am having lots of braxton hicks...with my last 2 babies I went to get checked and ended up admitted at 5 and 6 cms with bag of waters bulging. My last midwife taught me how to check my own cervix so that maybe I could get a warning for myself that I am progressing. lol! 

I am for sure concerned that I won't make it to the hospital with this baby- I am already at 4cm and with my history won't feel any labor stuff till I am about to deliver...at least I can check my cervix and try to keep an eye on things....hope it works to at least give me a heads up! 
     Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and Grandma to 1 (so far!) YES we would love to have more! 
    Baby #9- It's a GIRL!!  Born Oct 1st 2014!!

Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus!

• Options
    When I worked at the ob/gyn we had a patient who went to the hospital (hospitol) and they sent her home because she wasn't in active labor and told her to follow up with her dr. She came in the next day and when they went to check her to see if she was progressing, she was crowning. They didn't even have time to get the paramedics there so they delivered her baby in the exam room.
  • Options
    These stories are crazy!
  • Options
    melszum said:

I was just watching the news and a local woman delivered her baby in the parking lot of a grocery store. The manager delivered her because the paramedics didn't arrive in time. I don't get how someone can either not know they are in labor until the point that the baby is crowning or have that short of a labor...crazy!

My friend's sister went for her normal checkup at 37 weeks and learned she was dilated 9cm. She delivered within an hour is arriving to the hospital. It can happen.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited September 2014
    my SIL's water broke in the truck and 15 mins later walking into the hospital she was crowing

what happened, she called that morning and the doctor told her to come in when she felt like she was dying

well my SIL is literal. She has been in a roll over accident and almost died, so "feel like your dying" means something different to her
  • Options
    While I'm not sure I'd like to deliver at the grocery store, I'm a little jealous of those easy labors
  • Options
    Okay reading this post has really freaked me out. I plan to get things in motion as soon as I feel like I'm in labor, but DH works 45 min to an hour away from our house. I really hope I go into labor at night or in the early morning. I was talking to a STM with a long first labor and she also said it started slowly like before and then all of a sudden her contractions sped up and were only a minute apart. She didn't make it to a delivery room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options

Over here if you go into labour in certain stores they give you free stuff. No idea why.

What? Like an incentive for having your baby in their store? Do they have a wall with pictures of loyal customers who delivered in store?
  • Options
    JessAnnJ said:

Okay reading this post has really freaked me out. I plan to get things in motion as soon as I feel like I'm in labor, but DH works 45 min to an hour away from our house. I really hope I go into labor at night or in the early morning. I was talking to a STM with a long first labor and she also said it started slowly like before and then all of a sudden her contractions sped up and were only a minute apart. She didn't make it to a delivery room.

^^this. My DH works 35+ mins away, and then our hospital is 90 miles from our house, my Dr already told me to come in as soon as my contractions feel strong. He said "don't wait until they're frequent!" Lol. But I'm still scared that I won't make it to the hospital. Luckily there are other hospitals on the way, in case we have to stop sooner.

• Options
    @JessAnnJ and @onelilroo‌ My doula says that most of her STMs go into labor at night. It's like our bodies wait until the older child(ren) are asleep and the house is quiet, and then they get down to business. She has been a certified doula for 5 years and has attended well over 100 births, so I'm hoping she's right about this one!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    BobKat22 said:

A friend of a friend had her baby in the Wal-Mart parking lot last year. It reminds me of that movie Where the Heart Is. Which took place in Oklahoma right? Which is where we live. Lol.

She went to L&D earlier that day. They sent her home and said she wasn't in labor. Then she called a few times and they still told her to stay home. Finally, she decided to ignore them and go in anyway. They didn't make it and had to pull into the Wal-Mart parking lot. Her husband delivered the baby while on the phone with 911.

I would be pissed! I would be like "see fuckers! I told you I was in labor!!"

@onelilroo‌ why are you delivering at a hospital so far away?
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    @JessAnnJ and @onelilroo‌ My doula says that most of her STMs go into labor at night. It's like our bodies wait until the older child(ren) are asleep and the house is quiet, and then they get down to business. She has been a certified doula for 5 years and has attended well over 100 births, so I'm hoping she's right about this one!!
    Really? That's no good....it'd be way easier to drop kiddo off at grandmas when kiddo is awake. Why would our bodies think that waking a toddler at 2 in the morning to transport them to grandma's house would be a good idea?
    I read that it's because your oxytocin levels increase when you are happily snoozing away. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Well in that case, I hope its true for first time moms too!
  • Options

BobKat22 said:

A friend of a friend had her baby in the Wal-Mart parking lot last year. It reminds me of that movie Where the Heart Is. Which took place in Oklahoma right? Which is where we live. Lol.

She went to L&D earlier that day. They sent her home and said she wasn't in labor. Then she called a few times and they still told her to stay home. Finally, she decided to ignore them and go in anyway. They didn't make it and had to pull into the Wal-Mart parking lot. Her husband delivered the baby while on the phone with 911.

I would be pissed! I would be like "see fuckers! I told you I was in labor!!"

@onelilroo‌ why are you delivering at a hospital so far away?

We live in a very small town, and the big city is 90 miles away. Originally we were having our prenatal care in a town only 25 miles away, and we had planned to deliver there (it is also a small town, and they don't have a NICU, and if anything goes wrong they transport you to the big city anyways), but because of a medication I'm on that could possibly cause issues after birth, they decided it would be better for me to just deliver in the big city, at a hospital with a NICU. So after doing all of my prenatal care with them, they decided to transfer me to a MFM in the big city- when I was already 28 weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"