February 2015 Moms

Baby shower info

2»

Re: Baby shower info

• ordinary1 said:
    The person throwing the party is the person funding the event, planning said event, doing the work for the party, and inviting people. The host is the one that throws the party. By my suggestion of throwing a party if you want to see friends, I mean invite everyone over for dinner/BBQ/game night/whatever as long as it isn't a gift giving event such as a shower.
    When I think of host I think of like Pat Sajak or an MC... and in that case the MC is the host but =/= the person throwing the party. 

Okay carry on...  
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • ordinary1 said:

The person throwing the party is the person funding the event, planning said event, doing the work for the party, and inviting people. The host is the one that throws the party.

By my suggestion of throwing a party if you want to see friends, I mean invite everyone over for dinner/BBQ/game night/whatever as long as it isn't a gift giving event such as a shower.

This really doesn't work for everyone. I live in NC but im from NJ and my DH is from PA ....most of our family and all our good friends are up there. Last time I checked I'm not driving 10 hrs for a BBQ and sure as hell would not expect them to come down here for one. Only time to see each other is at special occasions or showers. It's not always so cut and dry.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It will always be tacky to throw yourself a shower despite any special snowflake reason.
  • What about a sip and see? You can throw that yourself because gifts aren' t implied, but then you still get to see all your friends and family during this special time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• srcr2011srcr2011 member
    edited September 2014
    I am kinda sick of all the baby shower threads. I doubt baby shower thread after thread is going to change anyone's mind on where they stand on multiple showers, tacky or not. It's a matter of opinion, not a black and white fact like gravity. To some, it's incredibly tacky and to others, it's their social norm. I do agree on this: do not throw your own!!

I guess this as an UO (flame away if you must) but a baby shower shouldn't be called a baby shower. It should be called "Mommy shower". After all, the mom is the one getting the gifts (for the baby). I also think sip n sees are AWish. I cringe at thinking "oh come to my house from 2-4 just to see my baby...". For me, it falls in the same category as a "gender" reveal party. I do not want many people in my house at once (that I would have to clean before and after the sip n' see), their germy hands all over my new baby, and having to serve refreshments on top of it. It's too much.

ETA: "Don't throw your own!!" because it's hard work.
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jaztastic said:
    @srcr2011 couldnt agree with you more. This topic gets beat to death and is the stupidest thing to have a debate over in my opinion. and honestly I dont care if you throw one yourself. Its not my money, and I most likely wouldnt know the difference anyway. If I got an invitation to your shower and I was going to go and bring a gift, why would "who is throwing it" matter to me if it were something I was going to do anyway? JMO... I wish there was a way to ban debates on baby shower threads. Im just ready to see peoples shower pictures. lol 
    I had a rubber duck/bath duck theme. It was cute. I only have pics on FB and it's blocked at work :( . There were little bowls with blue water and rubber duck floating in it as center pieces. I also has blue foamy punch (blue hawiian punch with sprite and I think lime sherbert) in a punch bowl with a few rubber ducks in it (mostly for decoration purposes). My cake had a "mommy" duck and like 3 ducklings. I loved my theme. DS still takes baths with all those ducks from my shower.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jaztastic said:
    @srcr2011 couldnt agree with you more. This topic gets beat to death and is the stupidest thing to have a debate over in my opinion. and honestly I dont care if you throw one yourself. Its not my money, and I most likely wouldnt know the difference anyway. If I got an invitation to your shower and I was going to go and bring a gift, why would "who is throwing it" matter to me if it were something I was going to do anyway? JMO... I wish there was a way to ban debates on baby shower threads. Im just ready to see peoples shower pictures. lol 
    @jaztastic obv from my previous posts I couldn't agree with you more.  If I could love tit this 15000 times I would. WHO GIVES A SHIT.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  What I don't like are the people who shame others that have a different option of their own.  If you think its tacky DON"T GO OR DON"T GIVE A GIFT!!!!! But shaming another mother for throwing a 2nd shower, throwing it themselves, or asking someone to help, that's not cool.  How are their actions affecting you?  Are they putting your health at risk like anti-vaxers?  Is it another heated health debate like circumcision? Absolutely not so why the big debate.  I get not agreeing with it.  Like I said that's fine we all have our right to an opinion.  But if a good friend asked me to plan their shower or invited me to their 2nd childs shower (all things which I have experienced by the way) I am in no way going to be like "ew you're tacky no way."  A friendship means more to me than that. 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Hey, I planned majority of my shower, but Im not throwing it so I missed the tacky boat... or did I? lol 
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • jaztastic said:
    Hey, I planned majority of my shower, but Im not throwing it so I missed the tacky boat... or did I? lol 
    My mom and MIL "threw" mine but I told them what, who and how I wanted it...I also helped cook, set up and cleaned. Did I throw mine?? LOL. I made sure I hugged and thanked each guest even if I did not know who they were (DH's great aunt's grandson's girlfriend)...
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jaztastic said:
    Hey, I planned majority of my shower, but Im not throwing it so I missed the tacky boat... or did I? lol 
    Jaz-my mom's throwing mine because I have no one else down here and its at my house.  I'm rocking the boat with you babe.  I picked the date too!
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• She should start our own "tacky" b-shower thread and see how many ladies fess up to any faux pas.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• srcr2011 said:
    She should start our own "tacky" b-shower thread and see how many ladies fess up to any faux pas.
    Im not ending up the talk of TB messing with you. You know it will spread worse than the craze from the UO yesterday. Nope Nope Nope... wont get me talked about on the BSB and Parenting. I like the fact that I have been on here for 3yrs without a flaming. 
  • I love how feisty this topic makes @ordinary1‌ get. It makes me want to make an AE and make threads on this topic.

I should add I always agree with what ordinary says btw.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ducktale said:
    I love how feisty this topic makes @ordinary1‌ get. It makes me want to make an AE and make threads on this topic. I should add I always agree with what ordinary says btw.
     Yes Ordinary 1, although we dont agree, definitely makes me love her when she responds. Its so "matter of fact". 

• jaztastic said:
    srcr2011 said:
    She should start our own "tacky" b-shower thread and see how many ladies fess up to any faux pas.
    Im not ending up the talk of TB messing with you. You know it will spread worse than the craze from the UO yesterday. Nope Nope Nope... wont get me talked about on the BSB and Parenting. I like the fact that I have been on here for 3yrs without a flaming. 
    The UO went crazy?? I need to go check it out. I was not on TB most of the day.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• srcr2011 said:

jaztastic said:
    srcr2011 said:
     Not ours but anyone who was on TB yesterday knows which one Im talking about. I just dont want to resurrect it. 
  • jaztastic said:
    srcr2011 said:

jaztastic said:
    srcr2011 said:
     Not ours but anyone who was on TB yesterday knows which one Im talking about. I just dont want to resurrect it. 
    Wow!  I am responsible for one day and miss everything. **Going off to lurk**
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• ordinary1 said:

Lol. I come off more passionate than I mean to.

We all may not agree but I still respect you for sticking to you're opinion ;)
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Aww shucks guys. You are making me blush. :\"> :x
  • srcr2011 said:

jaztastic said:

srcr2011 said:

jaztastic said:

srcr2011 said:

Wow!  I am responsible for one day and miss everything. **Going off to lurk**

Whoa whoa whoa. What did I miss????
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

This discussion has been closed.