Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Throwing food off the plate and tray

He's driving me nuts.  This was never an issue!  How do I stop this.  I've tried taking the food away period taking away his dish and only giving him a piece on a fork bc hes independent and hates to be fed a little slap to the hand. And having him say sorry.  Which he does but has no clue what he means.  Hes 17 months old!  My kitchen floor is a mess and my 5 day old c section scar is screaming "Stop bending B*tch!!!"
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Throwing food off the plate and tray

• In my experience this is a phase. Super annoying for mom who has to clean it up, but just a phase. If my 3-year-old was throwing food on the floor, that would warrant taking the plate away or having her clean it up, but my 20-month-old doesn't understand.  It seems to be their way of communicating that they are done eating, they don't want that food item on their plate, or they are exploring the way the texture feels in their hand, and when they are done, they drop it.  Sometimes I wait a few hours for whatever it is to dry so it's easier to sweep it up, rather than getting down on the floor :) 
  • It's a phase that will pass. He might be trying to communicate that's he's finished eating, or doesn't want the food item or just experimenting with what happens and where it goes when he drops it out of his hand. 

There really isn't anything you can do about it. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine has been doing this too. I now watch for cues that he is starting to get bored with eating, so that means I do sit with him for basically all of every meal. If I sense it is coming, I pull the plate away and we are teaching him to say "all done" to indicate he is done. And he doesn't get to get out of his chair unless he says it. Sometimes I'll pull his plate just out of reach and offer him a bite. If he takes it, I offer a couple more until he reaches for the plate and then I let him finish what he wants. I find he is likely doing it more to get attention to let us know he's done than anything else. Well, and he thinks it's funny.
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • same as everyone else....phase, and in my experience it means they are done eating and are bored.  I remove food and take kid out of high chair....all done. :)
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• When my son began going through this phase we would only give him a bite or two of food at a time, had a "no thank you" plate / bowl where he could place things he didn't like, & taught him to sign / say all done. If he was repeatedly flinging food, we'd take it away for a minute to let him settle down & then offer it again.

Now, at 18mo he never intentionally flings food. Sometimes he'll spill off his spoon, or want something off his fork & shake too hard, but he doesn't just make a mess.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies.  He knows all done, has had a symbol for it since he was younger and can say it now (for a while)  He tells us, but the thing is he's throwing the food before he's "all done"  He throw his cup too.  After he drinks it.  But then wants it back.  We don't give it back to him until after he's done eating at that point.  He's throwing food on the floor and flipping his plate over onto the tray.  It's every meal with every type of food.  Even his favorites.  I'm aware that this is a phase.  I was just wondering if any of you had found a way to exhaust it sooner.  He can ask for foods that he wants and tells us no when he doesn't want something.  I always take that away so as not to entice him to fling the food himself.  He looks me right in the face and drops things.  Says "uhoh" and "sorry"  It's like a spite thing!!!!  We've been consistent with taking things that he throw on the floor.  So he knows it isn't a game.  Is it too early for spitefulness?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would definitely nix the plate - that's just asking for trouble at this stage, IMO.

DS has only recently been allowed a whole plate of food & ONLY because he has stopped throwing / dropping. If he gets restless it goes away immediately & we will give him pre-loaded forkfuls. He really wants to self-feed so this is a big motivator to behave.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It's was a phase for us to, but short lived. Ignoring it worked for us (she was clearly doing it for attention, based on the sly grin on her face while she wound up a fistful of food). And we have 2 dogs, so i rarely pick up the mess myself (which at 8.5 months pregnant is not happening anyway!).
  • I agree with everyone that it's a phase.  I just tell myself that my son is conducting scientific experiments with gravity.  It has gotten better since I've ignored him and given him an adult spoon.  For some reason eating with the adult spoon (which makes a mess, but a more manageable mess) has translated into less throwing the food around.  Good luck!!!
  • My daughter is still doing this and she is 22 months, can't wait til this phase is done!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha, lots of lovely tips here! Love the idea to get a dog to help :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"