Cloth Diapering

Need overnight suggestions

Babies are 4 months old and are starting to soak through some nights. I'm looking for suggestions for how to get through 12-13 hours for heavy wetting/ breast feeding babies.

We currently have workhorses and mother ease sandy diapers in various sizes, multiple doublers (mostly hemp). One baby is in wool at night due to some rash issues. I've tried adding multiple inserts but it doesn't seem to help (I think it makes the legs gap, esp with the wool cover which isn't real tight).

Any ideas? I'm trying 2 diapers tonight (med workhorse under large sandys under wool) is that a reasonable approach?

Any thoughts on whether sbish would absorb more (enough more to justify the cost)?

Re: Need overnight suggestions

• An Sbish OBF will definitely absorb more. Another option is to try workhorse and Sandys or workhorse and two hemp doublers but put it under a larger cover. I love Blueberry Coveralls because the cut is very generous for bulky fitteds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I love sbish with a cover. That ought to be bulletproof under wool.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • What are sandy's?

I've heard some people put the insert/ doubler on the outside of the fitted but inside the cover. That way you still have a snug fit with the workhorse.
  • Talk to me about wool.

If you use a wool cover at night does it need to be washed after one night then re-lanolinized (sp?). Or does it get multiple uses?
  • Talk to me about wool.

If you use a wool cover at night does it need to be washed after one night then re-lanolinized (sp?). Or does it get multiple uses?

It can be used multiple times because the urine + lanolin = salt! You usually can wash once every couple weeks or so. The down side is you have to handwash, but once you do it it's nbd.
  • Thanks everyone.
    I'd love to hear more opinions on the sbish and if they're really worth it (we have a few in XL from our older child and I don't 'love' them- mainly because of the price tag, but it also seems harder to get stains out of them than the cotton).
    For the baby who isn't in wool, we use blueberry coveralls or thirsties sz 2 duo. As I think about it, some of our issue is definitely that the wool cover isn't tight enough to hold everything where it needs to be. I'll try putting inserts outside the fitted for the one in PUL, but I don't think it would work with the wool.
    To answer the question about wool- I'm becoming a fan (except for above issues). We wash them every few wks (or sometimes less). The breathability definitely helps with rashes.
  • Oh and Sandys are a fitted diaper from Mother-ease- those and the workhorses are my favorite fitteds (but I'm willing to be convinced to try sbish again).
  • Talk to me about wool.

It can be used multiple times because the urine + lanolin = salt! You usually can wash once every couple weeks or so. The down side is you have to handwash, but once you do it it's nbd.
    Ah okay. So worth it to have a couple to wash and use.

I use a mother ease fitted bamboo with a thirsties hemp insert. We wake up happy and dry. But I want to add wool to make it bulletproof when he's older.
  • I bought a couple hemp fitteds off of Amazon for 15$ each for overnight. I think the brand is THX? They're just China cheapies. They've been working well so far. Usually it's worn for 12-13 hours with up to 4 nursing sessions inbetween. No leaks yet. I also pair it with wool.

Assunta also makes cheap bamboo fitteds.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

• Alva came out with bamboo ones too under $8 I think.
  • So the double diaper wool combo worked really well (no leaks and the rash looks the best it has in a while-almost gone).
    Now I just need to find something that's less cumbersome.
    Also any thoughts on whether stay dry is important at night (I had assumed it would be a good idea, but it was forcing me to put the insert in the diaper, and after last night that seems not ideal)?
  • We use either the sbish os snap less or workhorse with 2 hemp doublers under a blueberry coverall. The bulk and natural fiber don't bother DS at all. I want to try wool but haven't yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"