Breastfeeding

Power pumping to increase evening supply?

LO is 4.5 months old.  I think he's going through a growth spurt this week- he went from 1-2 MOTN feedings to waking every three hours to eat.  I've been trying to nurse more often during the day before and after work, but he seems to get very frustrated in the evening when my supply is lower.  Tonight he nursed at 4:30, then at 6pm I could only get him to nurse for about 5 minutes.  Finally I gave him a 4oz bottle, which he sucked down like I'd been starving him all day.  I pump enough at work to keep up with the bottles he gets at DC, but I was thinking of adding a power pumping session right after I put him to bed.  I'm hoping that this will increase my evening milk supply, since it seems like I'm not keeping up with his appetite at this time of day.  Ideally nursing him would stimulate my milk supply, but he's getting really frustrated.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Or does this plan even make sense?

Re: Power pumping to increase evening supply?

• This is what I do...I nurse my 7 month old to sleep at 7:30 and then at 10 pm I pump before I go to bed to keep my supply up. He wakes once about 3 am to eat and then I resume with my normal nursing/pumping schedule in the morning. Hope this helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm experiencing exactly that right now and mu baby is 2 months old, i dont know if she needs to eat more or if my supply dropped or what but i pump enough for what she takes at DC
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • My LC was talking about this last week.  She said we could mimic a growth spurt and increase supply by doing a "pumping session" of 10 mins on, 10 mins off, 10 mins on, 10 mins off, 10 mins on.  Do this for three evenings.  She said it usually takes our bodies 72 hours to get the hint, and that is why sometimes our LO appears to be starving, because our body just hasn't caught up to their needs yet.  I hope this helps.
  • My daughter is 5.5 months and im going trough exactly this! So Im reading for advice too. The hard part is finding the time to power pump in the evening.. That is her fussy time along with dinner, bath, a stroll, get ready for bed and work the next day time.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"