Baby Showers

Evites for Showers...Is this ok

I along with 2 of my SIL are throwing our SIL a shower in March. One of my SIL is in charge of the invites and says she is doing Evites. This is because when we threw  a wedding shower last year NO ONE responded through the mail and we had to email everyone to get a response. So a lot of waisted money. We live in a large city and most of our friends are young professionals and just live on they're computers and don't think about paper mail I guess.

I'm fine with it but do you think it is still a shower no no?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Evites for Showers...Is this ok

• I'd say it's becoming more acceptable; I'm not crazy about it, but I can live with it.  Just be sure that everyone on the invite list has an e-mail address; some older relatives may not.
  • I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in ettiquette. Dont get me wrong I agree with it to an extent but everyones situation is different. I think if it works for you, the host and your group of friend and family then great do it. I think evites are great idea and great to save money if that fits your style. What may work for one may not work for all but go for it.

Sorry I have been reading all these negative comments on other post when it just boils down to do what works for you and your setting. I mean don't go out of your way to be tacky but lets be honest we dont do things the same way your great grandmother did it. Sorry ::stepping off my soap box::

• Loading the player...
  • I totally agree about what works for our group of friends. I personally like a sent by mail invite but lets face it that is not the number 1 way of communication anymore. Her mother is throwing her one that will include older friends and family. But this one is going to be about 15 girls in they're 20's early 30's.
  • i personally hate evite for anything, but you know your guests.
  • My gut instinct is no but if for women in their 20s and 30s, it's logically the best way to go.

I just think the paper invitations are so cute.  But then again, I usually end up tossing them after the shower is over.

• I love getting a paper invite in the mail (and prefer to send paper invites), but if the Evite works better for the group then do the Evite.

I do recommend mailing paper invitations to the older relatives. Many older people do not check their email often and do not know what to do with an evite.

• I think it is a personal preference. I'm definitely not a fan of evites for showers or special occasions... and would not want one sent for mine. They are fine for informal get togethers, but I'm really big on the extra personal touch.

Now, if budget is an issue, I say go for it.
    I would definitely mail a hard copy invite to older relatives though.

• In my opinion I think it's tacky.  If they are young professionals then they should know enough to respond to an invitation in the mail.  I bet they have no problem when it comes to responding to a bill they owe.
  • What about a paper invitation and an email address for responses?
  • Why don't you do both?  Send an evite as a save the date and ask for an RSVP (if you need those).  Also send a paper invite.  You said MOST of your firends are young professionals and live on their computers.  I have friends who do not have computers and some that do that rarely look at their emails (and are terrible at responding by email).  My good friend who does have email gets my emails and calls me to answer my questions!  That way you are not excluding anyone.
  • wait... your SIL did a response card to an invite?  people are notoriously crappy at RSVPing.  that said, if it was a shower for me and the hosts sent out an evite, i'd be a little offended... like i didn't warrant a real invitation. 

send out real invites, leave phone numbers and email addresses to RSVP.  2 weeks before event, send out email to confirm.

• I would find that incredibly tacky. You can send out cheap paper invites, and follow up with email if your friends really don't know how to read a piece of paper mail (which is really sad, actually). I'd think it was a cheap, tacky shower if I got an evite.
  • I prefer e-vites, myself.  Much easier, cleaner and greener (if that is your thing) and every guest can see the list and who has responded.

I do agree with pps about older invitees and regular paper invites for them if it is appropriate.

Probably at one time it was considered tacky to send an invite in the mail rather than hand deliver it.  Times change.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I think it is a great idea and you are being green too!! Good luck! I know of someone who just got an evite to a shower and it was the first I heard of it but I thought it was a great idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"