October 2013 Moms
Options

PSA--button batteries are deadly

sooner1981sooner1981 member
edited September 2014 in October 2013 Moms
So... Had a raging fever and GI misery yesterday and husband was working until seven, so I was cooking dinner for the kiddos. My 11 month old son was playing in the low cabinet that we keep our paper plates, cups, straws, and plastic spoons, so that our daughter can get her own dishes for dinner.

I was standing facing that cabinet and the dining room, where my daughter was playing play doh. Leaned down for five seconds to pour the pancake batter into the griddle, look up and my son has a AA battery in his hand on the way to his mouth. I fly across the kitchen, pull the battery away, and then look in the cabinet and apparently our house cleaner must have taken our battery box from the (admittedly overflowing) upper cabinet and put it in the (spacious) lower cabinet, not realizing we had purposely removed all non "kid safe" stuff from that cabinet.

There were some little button batteries in the box, so I couldn't be sure that in all his rifling around in that cabinet while I was cooking, he hadnt swallowed one. I called my husband and learned that if a baby swallows a button battery, it can kill them within 2 hours of ingestion!!!!! So, he came home, took our son to the children's ER, got an x-ray and it turns out that he did not swallow any batteries.

I just about had a heart attack (the existing sickness did not help!) when I realized how serious that could have been. Maybe everyone in te world knows how deadly this is except me and has already taken all these precautions, but last night I put all our batteries in a plastic tub with a lid that cannot be easily taken off. And then the tub went into the garage where it could not so easily be "rearranged" to a kid-friendly location. We also put a strip of tape on the backs of remote controls and other appliances that our kids ocassionally mess around with.

Just passing this stupid parenting moment along in the hopes that someone else won't have to deal with all that panic and anxiety in the future!!

Re: PSA--button batteries are deadly

• Options
    Oh my goodness! That is scary! And I also had no idea that they were so deadly. I knew they wouldn't be good, but had no idea that they could be fatal in just 2 short hours! I know what I'm doing on my lunch break! And good to hear your little guy is alright!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Gah! So scary. We don't have any of those button batteries in our house, but I would imagine the damage would be the same with any battery they managed to swallow? It wouldn't be easy, but I bet my kid could swallow a triple A if given the opportunity. Gonna pack them all up and put them out of reach when I get home!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So, you're saying that a flimsy plastic bag on a low kitchen shelf is not the ideal place to keep dead batteries while we wait to have enough to make it worth a trip to the recycling place? I might have some homework for this evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What's a button battery? The circular ones?

And glad your LO is safe. How scary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The tape is a good idea! LO recently discovered how to take the backs off of remotes :/
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    How scary! I never knew that they were lethal like that.  I'm so glad that he didn't actually swallow anything.

• Options

What's a button battery? The circular ones?

And glad your LO is safe. How scary!

Yes, the circular oneS. Apparently all batteries are dangerous, those circular ones are just the easiest to swallow.

Yuck--scariest moment so far of this crazy parenting journey!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"