Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Help, my baby is miserable & I don't know why!

MommaleenaMommaleena member
edited September 2014 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Hello everyone!

Ok, I'm in desperate need of some advice. My baby boy is now 2 months old & I am strictly breastfeeding. He whines all of the time. It's like he's miserable all of the freakin time! I know I've got enough milk for him but is it possible that he just isn't getting enough out of it? Kinda like that empty feeling you suddenly get shortly after you gorge yourself on Chinese food?? I'm confused and don't know what to do. :( Will supplementing him on formula help at all?? I can differentiate between his tired cries, dirty bum cries, hungry cries & gassy cries but I am utterly stumped at this constant whining. :/ Maybe I've just spoiled the crap out of my baby? After all, you are breastfeeding so ya literally have a baby attached to your boob 24/7. But now I can't put him down...like EVER. And he won't nap ALL DAY LONG (only cat naps in my arms) so he gets over tired which makes him CRAZY. When he falls asleep in my arms I'll go and put him down and between 3-5mins later he starts squawking. So I leave him to see if he settles on his own and by about 15mins he's full out screaming. So I'll go up and comfort him (not pick him up, just talk to him) just to reassure him that "momma's still here" and then I'll leave the room again. I repeat this about 5 times before I just give up and hold him again. Omg, someone please help!! I think I'm doing this all wrong. Very different baby from my first. I just want him to feel happy, comfy & satisfied... :'(  

So, two things wrong here... 
#1. He's whiny 90% of the day and I don't know why.
#2. I can't put him down to sleep for more that 5-10mins.

Any advice would be sooo appreciated!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help, my baby is miserable & I don't know why!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you!!  :-*

• Have you tried wearing him in a carrier for naps?  DS napped like that once a day for a few months.  Will he sleep in a swing instead?  At 2 months I wouldn't be so stressed about where our baby is napping and just that he is.  If he only naps in your arms then try to give him one good nap each day doing that.  I also second swaddling and white noise. 

Also, I wouldn't let a 2 month old cry for 15 minutes.  If after 5 minutes he hasn't settled I'd pick him up.  
  • Thanks for the input & advice ladies. :) And yes, I do wear my baby. That is the ONLY time I can get anything done, lol. I currently wear him in an Ollie Golightly sling but it's killing my shoulder!! Any suggestions on a more comfy carrier? I've been looking at the Baby K'tan as well as the wraps...

• Thanks for the input & advice ladies. :) And yes, I do wear my baby. That is the ONLY time I can get anything done, lol. I currently wear him in an Ollie Golightly sling but it's killing my shoulder!! Any suggestions on a more comfy carrier? I've been looking at the Baby K'tan as well as the wraps...
    I used a moby until 5 months or so and then switched to the beco gemini.  I know that the moby can be intimidating but it's actually quite easy once you try it.  I could wear him for 2+ hours without back pain.  I had a bjorn and was hurting in like 15 minutes.  

PP brings up a good point about reflux.  DS has reflux and his first few months were tough.  Once we finally got him on the right meds it became much better.  
  • I love my baby ktan. The moby looked too complicated for me but tons of mamas swear by it. The ktan is the same concept but without all the wrapping. It's super comfy and my LO loves it.
  • Danipg said:
    PP's have some great suggestions! If none of that works is may be reflux. Have you seen any signs of reflux? I.E. Arching his back, "swallowing" noises when he's not eating, spitting up/vominting more, crying when trying to eat? I know I had a happy baby and then one week he was fussy all the time, wanted to be held for naps etc and was waking up a lot during the night and after searching these boards and going to a walk-in clinic the doctor figured he had reflux issues ("silent" because he swallows the acid instead of spitting it up). He was put on an antacid medication and it was incredible the change we saw overnight! He was happier and sleeping better. Also, could he just be colicky? Good luck to you! 

YES. Sounds like reflux may be a huge possibility! Thanks for bringing it up. I'll definitely look into it asap. He fights at my boob sometimes. Acts like he's trying to use it as a punching bag and starts kicking & sucking super hard...angrily almost. He just looks downright uncomfortable. He's also been spitting up quite a bit too. So maybe that's reflux? I can also tell when he's colicky because he'll suddenly get particularly fussy, start kicking his legs really hard, then let out a loud high pitched pain cry right before he pushes out a huge man fart. My poor little dude. :( I've now started him on BioGaia Drops. I'm hoping that'll help him.

• My baby was like that while I was strictly BF every 2 hours he just didn't seem satisfied. He is a big boy so I think that had a lot to do with it. At 7 weeks I introduced some formula and he turned into a different baby!! I am a FTM and was afraid to try formula. I am so happy I did. I really think my baby just needed something more to fill him up. He is so content now. I am a big fan of supplementing especially because of the size of my son! GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"